1963 Standel Reverbalux Oil Can Delay

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by PurpleJesus, Mar 30, 2015.

1. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

So, I won an auction on eBay last night for this '63 Standel Reverbalux Oil Can delay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Standel-Reverbalux-Morley-Tel-Ray-Oil-Can-Reverb-Adineko-Add-Echo-Vintage-Effect-/271815161065?nma=true&si=6YE4BTQC2%252F0TyUBLavVjMzHJL6A%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The seller says that it was Ray Lubow's (founder of Morley and inventor of the oil can delay), and that it was part of his estate. I don't know if that's true, hopefully it is, but I would have bought it regardless. I had an Alter Ego that had an oil can delay model and loved it so I've been watching out for a real deal unit and was happy when this one came up for bid.

Anyway, there is almost literally no information on the internet about them. Can't find anything listing out their serial numbers, or anything else really beyond debate about the correct type of oil to use. I'm pretty sure I can get it repaired by Sherwood Music in Asheville, NC. They did an incredible job on my Space Echo so I think this is within the scope of their abilities.

Do any of you have any experience, knowledge, or repair tips about this unit? Anything will be appreciated, thanks much! :)

Here are a few pictures, many more on the eBay link above if that helps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

elicious, S. F. Sorrow and Ruiner like this.
  2. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

Congrats. Those are awesome units, when they're working. The story about the Lubow estate is probably true as I know about a bunch of pieces that are being sold off right now that came from his estate.

The bad news is that it will probably cost you a lot more to fix it than it did to buy it. I'm not an expert, but I know those cans rust easily and have to be completely overhauled in order to get it working correctly.

3. PurpleJesus

Well, that's pretty cool that it was probably the inventor's personal unit. I'm honestly willing to pay what it takes to get it working properly again, seems like a piece of history to me in a lot of ways.

I can see from the pictures that the belt is obviously missing and there is one capacitor (or something, I'm not an engineer at all) that's leaked some sort of fluid out. I assume that will have to be replaced. Beyond that.....I know nothing.

4. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

The old Tel-Ray Oil Can Addicts website changed webhosts, but it still online and a GREAT resource (I have 4 of the big Morley oilcan pedals)

http://telrayoilcanaddicts.yuku.com/

I'd start there, be patient for an answer (it's lightly visited), and check in often to keep contacts alive.

Pablomago likes this.
  5. PurpleJesus

Thanks, very helpful. I just e-mailed the guy that supplies everyone with the correct oil.

6. boogie02130

boogie02130 Supporting Member

Union Carbide LB 65 iirc!

dewey decibel likes this.
  7. HugalosPizza

HugalosPizza Member

And to replace the belt, just buy a big bag of various size rubber bands. You will find one that works. I fixed a few oil can delay/reverbs with those.

8. PurpleJesus

Cool thanks!

Anybody actually own one of these things? I can't find any pictures or videos of one that's this old.

9. Class5

Class5 Member

What a cool find!

10. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

11. PurpleJesus

Yeah, I'm really excited to get it! Coming from CA to NC so it'll probably be the end of the week at best....then I have to take it to Sherwood and find out what it'll cost to get it working.....yikes!

Once I get it working though I can't imagine how much it's going to be playing the thing!

:dude

12. DBBlues

DBBlues Formerly fullertone Silver Supporting Member

I just love stuff like this thing. I'm trying to not buy a tape echo, or follow my crazy idea to make one from a two cassette tape deck.

It is so cool. I'd like to hear more about it as you bring it back to life.

13. PurpleJesus

I say go for it on the tape delay, man. I've got a RE-150 and LOVE it so much. There's actually one up on eBay right now I think for $399. I realize that's a lot of money, but for a real Space Echo it's a great price. A friend of mine has a RE-201, which usually cost double that, and in his opinion he might as well have the 150 b/c he doesn't like the reverb on it. Anyway, that's a fun rabbit hole to go down....

As far as the oil can delay goes, I think I'm going to get the folks that repair to take as many pics as possible while they go through it so I can post it up in this thread. There's literally nothing out there about repairing one of these things, so if nothing else this could serve as a resource for people in the future trying to repair one of these puppies.

Whenever I do get it up and running I'll post a bunch of clips. It still hasn't been shipped yet so I have no clue when I'm getting it and it has to go across the country....then get repaired, so I'm guessing it'll be at least a month before it's up and running.

There's a "footswitch" control on the front of the pedal to bypass the effect (think it's true bypass? ;)) Anyone know what type of footswitch could operate properly with it?

14. PurpleJesus

Just thought I'd bump it up again to see if anyone had anymore info on the unit?

15. TweedBassman

TweedBassman Member

no extra info but that is an awesome piece. please keep us updated on progress!!

16. PurpleJesus

Definitely will do. The seller said he was shipping it to me tomorrow. I've got the replacement oil lined up thanks to the lead someone gave me earlier on this thread about the oil can delay addicts message board.

17. Mosley

Mosley Electric Catnip

Just saw this thread...awesome!!
    I had an oil can delay for a bit (a Tel-Ray Add'n'Echo) and liked the sound of the echo, but the echo wasn't very loud, so I ended up selling it. The guy I sold it too was more familiar with the units and had to put some oil in it to beef up the volume...if I had known that was all it needed I would have kept it, since the warbly echo was a cool tone.
    I'm really glad you're getting a good thread going about this project, I'll be following it :)

18. PurpleJesus

Awesome! Glad to see some enthusiasm about these delays.

I actually went and discussed it with Sherwood Music today and they're very confident they can get it working properly. They even have the correct oil in stock, and from the pictures I was able to show him he thinks it just needs to can cleaned, re-capped, and the hard part will be getting a proper belt for it, but even that he said he could get from a local auto parts store. I'm lucky to have such an awesome repair shop in town.

Will be here sometime next week and I'll keep updating as it gets nursed back into health. The owner of Sherwood said he thought it wouldn't be an issue to get it 100% functional again. Pumped!

19. DBBlues

DBBlues Formerly fullertone Silver Supporting Member

What great news. I love seeing great old things being brought back to life. Sometimes, something can't be brought back, but it can be re-used. I bought a very beat 1950 reel to reel because it had a microphone that I wanted. I salvaged the handle, hinges and locks from the case, and one of the locks is on a guitar case that needed one. I also took the tubes, and of course, the mic. The front face went to a guy who is into displaying the tech design of that era, and the rest will be used as amp repair parts.

20. Class5

Class5 Member

We just had an old Echolette turn up in a trade-in. It doesn't work atm but the Boss is going to restore it. Nice! I can't wait to try it out.