1963 Strat, $13k ?

apalazzolo

Supporting Member
i think this is a good restore.

that red looks too bright for a 60 year old finish. reliced refin?

back of neck too. overspray?

saddle springs and guard screws are too clean to be old.

Last edited:

Sampler

Silver Supporting Member
1963 is a great year for Strats....for whatever reason some of the pickups were wound hotter than usual and the neck profiles are generally really nice. Hard to tell from the pictures but I would assume a refret and the back of the neck may have been over sprayed...there’s no wear on it but the body is battered. If all else is correct and no monkey business I’d be a buyer at 11 or so. It’s a desirable year and has a cool look...the body finish looks correct to me. Worth it to at least have a look.

ETA it has boo boo marks so the tuners were replaced at some point with schallers or the equivalent with nut binding furrels. The holes may have been enlarged as a result.

fender753

Supporting Member
Everything looks good to my eye and I have a 63, but ofcourse you want to look at more photos and dig in with someone who is an expert if your serious about it. I think the price is fair. Not a steal per say but not a bad deal.

56Tweed

Ge Fuzz-o-holic
Silver Supporting Member
Price wise, that is likely about the going rate for a refin. If its original finish, then its likely a really good price unless its a dog. If it looks like that and is original, I'm thinking its pretty unlikely to be a dog. Somebody would have loved the hell out of that thing.

For the guys that are saying there is "no wear" on the neck, I'm seeing decent wear on the treble side of the neck edge for the first 6 or so frets. From what I can see there is at least as much wear as there is on my '68 Tele.

reddgeetarzan

Silver Supporting Member
I'd have to agree- back of the neck is NOT consistent with the wear on the rest of the guitar. Black bottom pickups? Signed? That's a more than fair price in my opinion.

R2-DD2

oomph. gorgeous. so pretty i'd suspect a relic'd refin, but very very well done. since the ad doesn't mention if it's a refin, id suspect it is. That wouldn't necessarily stop me if I was in the market though.

TrueFifth

There is a lot of red tone in the photos probably adjusted or from settings on camera, so I would have asked for more photos to determine the true colour... - and asked about refinishing of course...

I think the shop changed the text from 'offers welcome' to 'highest bid over", so they have recognized the attention it's getting...i.e. they are more likely fishing for higher bids now.

Trending Topics