1963 Vintage Hofner violin bass with issues

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by Sol, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Sol

Sol Member

I've a post in the guitar/bass tech section that gives more detail about this bass, but here I'm reaching out to those that might know the approximate value of this rare Horner violin bass.

The neck has been reset badly but I may be able to rectify the situation.

Other than the neck the bass is in excellent condition ,it has binding on the neck with a three figure serial number.
    This may date it to 1964 but I'm not even sure of this, and clearly Im in need of advice.

There's a wealth of information on this forum that's been invaluable on a number of occasions, so a big thanks to all in advance,
    Cheers,
    Sol

2. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Member

Hofner didn't use serial numbers back in the 60's on any of their instruments. It wasn't until the the year 2000 that they started the current system. However Selmer of London put serial numbers on the back of the headstock on their imported Hofner instruments. But the only way to get a true approximation of when the bass ws made is to look at the codes on the volume pots.

The posts start with 250k _ _ _. The first two digits are the week the pots were made and the last didgit is the year. Example = 250k423 translates to 42nd week of 63. This is only a general guide as to when the bass was assembled but you know the date of the pots so it's safe to assume the bass was made sometime in 63-64. You'd also have to check the specific features of the bass to help determine what year it was made. Good luck.

TD

3. Sol

Sol Member

Thornton, thanks for your reply, much appreciated.
    I will check the pot codes tomorrow, I don't know if it's a wise move to post the serial # but the three numbers are below 400 but no lower than 350.
    Knowing that Selmer was the importer, makes sense, as Hofner guitars made up the majority of instruments available to musicians prior to the relaxing of trade laws that made US made guitars available for the first time in many yrs.

Anyone with ideas as to current value ?

So :

4. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Member

Post as many photos of it as you can so we can see it's overall condition and what features it has or doesn't have, then we can give you estimate on its value.

TD

5. seven

seven Member

Hofner gurus are present at beatgearcavern.com. I would suggest posting there, too.