1964 Fender Bassman Blackface

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by RockDC, Apr 18, 2008.

1. RockDC

RockDC Member

So I have a friend, who has a soundtech/friend, who has a dad, that is selling his Blonde 1964 Fender Bassman head and non-original cab with a 15" Jenson Re-issue. Its a little beat with some obvious cigarette burns in a couple places on it, the tolex is peeling some, some rust on the transformer, just serviced by the best techs in the Midwest (Savage Audio in MN), and sounds impeccable.

My question is, at what price should I pull the trigger? $400, $500, $600, $700, etc...

Also, I can't really afford he amp right now (nor do I really need it) but it has been a dream of mine to own a Pre-CBS BF Bassman and a bonus if it were blonde... Although I can't really afford it now I know I can afford one in about 3 years when I'm out of Chiropractic school but have a fear that people will realize these amps are awesome and the price will go through the roof like it has with the 70's Super Lead! Should I wait or buy?

I don't have any pics sorry.

2. donnievaz

donnievaz Member

You've answered your own question. You know that if you don't buy it now, you'll end up paying 3 times more for it later on. It's inevitable.

3. devbro

devbro Member

The cats out of the bag already and these are fetching $900.00 and up without any cab. If you could snatch it for $700.00 now, you would be making a smart investment. If you dont, you'll be kicking yourself later.

4. RockDC

RockDC Member

You are right its inevitable... Its smarter to buy now and eat cheaper for a while than to buy later and get flack from my wife for spending so much.

5. RockDC

RockDC Member

Because this one is beat some I think he's looking to sell for $400-$600.

6. redtoploader

redtoploader Member

400-600 is a good price.

If its a white knob version...really good price.

7. RockDC

RockDC Member

The first of the black knobs... Bright Switch instead of a Presence knob.

8. devbro

devbro Member

I dont believe she's a true blonde and if it's got the bright switch and no presence knob then it's not a 6G6-B. I think it should be black. Offer him $500.00

9. illini

illini Member

I am the friend of a friend who has a dad who has the Bassman. The date on the head is December 1964. So, it looks like it is a transition amp with an authentic 64 blonde shell but with the upgraded electronics. Probably one of the first Bassmans made with the bright switch.

10. Robertito

Robertito Member

I have a blackface 6G6-B in black tolex; came that way stock. Go figure.

11. frank4001

frank4001 Member

These chances don't come up often. Buy it. $400-$600 for any good sounding, well serviced, hand wired amp is a bargain on my book....

12. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

Personally, I wouldn't pay a premium for the white tolex- there are plenty of AA864s in circulation, and unless it's a museum piece even the whites aren't going for $700 (yet). Since it sounds good to you and has been recently serviced, $700 for the whole rig is a fair deal- the cab of unknown origin isn't worth much on its own, and 2x12 is the more desirable compliment for guitar.

13. redtoploader

redtoploader Member

Yep, they made some this way...they aren't too common though.