1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

1964 Super Reverb question?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Truckdrivin'man, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Truckdrivin'man

Truckdrivin'man Member

Hi there.

Is it normal for a bit of sound to come out of the amp even though the Volume knob is fully off (Vibrato channel)? I notice the Normal channel doesn't do this (it's totally silent when volume knob is off).

Also, the Middle knob seems to have stopped working - no change in tone when turning the knob all the way up or down. Everything else seems fine.

Thank you.

2. bob-i

bob-i Member

Sounds like a little wear on the pot. Nothing to worry about unless you need the volume to go to 0, then you might need a new pot.

3. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

no, when the volume is off... you shouldn't be able to hear your guitar. In fact, my super doesn't have any sound until about 2 to 2.3 on the dial. This seems to be the norm for most old supers i've seen.

Sounds like you've got a super that had somethin' spilled on it one day that drained into the potenimeters driving the volume and mid controls.

If you're handy with a soldering iron, its a quick swap in and out, otherwise a tech can probably do it for you for rather cheap...

4. tommytomcat

tommytomcat Member

Try turning your reverb knob all the way down.. you could be getting a little bleed over from the reverb circuit. The signal splits after the tone stack recovery preamp and part of it goes into the rev/dry mixer, the other goes to the reverb & trem circuits. That's the difference in the normal ch & effects ch. Beyond that, it could just be a worn/degraded pot. It is a 64'. Same thing with your mid control.. the wiper could have lost contact with the element or internally be worn out in some way. Just get a 10KL (liner pot, 25K-50KL or KA if you'd like some mid boost OD available) and replace it. 3 solders.

5. Truckdrivin'man

Truckdrivin'man Member

Thanks all.

The reverb is unplugged at the moment (both out and in cables) because I need a new RCA connection. Do you think that has something to do with it?

Thanks again.