• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

1965 Fender Deluxe Cap & Cord Job -- A Photo Essay

JDJ

Silver Supporting Member
A while back, Mike posted a photo of his BF Fender Deluxe in a BF Fender Deluxe love thread. I made a comment on how nice it was. Mike seems to have a lot of old Fenders.

And then, about a week ago, Mike mentioned an ebay ad to me and pushed me into looking into it. I did. I bought the amp. And it arrived today:

Wow, but it's clean! And footswitch, too!! And original schematic and owner's manual!!!

I decided to check the usual numbers to properly authenticate its lineage:

Date stamp in the cabinet puts it in the 43rd week of 1965.

Matching baffle and cabinet marks look good.

Tube chart puts it in October of 1965. 43rd week gets it close to Halloween. :D Notice how the tube chart says "Fender Electric" instead of "Fender Musical".

Speaker code makes it an Oxford from the 36th week of 1965.

Chassis stamp puts it in 1965 (see here: http://www.superchamp.dk/dating_fenders.htm)

Tube compliment is a Blackburn-made Mullard labeled as an Amperex, plus a pair of RCA 6V6GTs, plus a pair of RCA 7025s in V1 and in V2, a Mullard 12AX7 in V3, and a GE 12AT7 in V4.

Some interior shots:

Under the dog house:

The power transformer:

The output transformer:

The choke:

Whew!! The prior owner said that it did not sound so good. I bought it "AS IS".

Next up -- the cap and cord job! :)

Last edited:

quinnamps

Lots of really clean amps stayed that way because they either had some ailment or developed one and they spent their lives in the closet.

Find the reason why in the previous owners opinion it did not sound so good and you'll have a great sounding amp in great condition. Rare!

Is it just me or is that nfb wire routed oddly?

Beautiful score btw.

JDJ

Silver Supporting Member
Well, I broke out my Dad's old Weller soldering iron. I swear it has a bakelite housing. :D

Then I started on the bypass eletrolytic caps:

Used some desoldering braid to break the joints. And then I pulled the lead up with some pliers:

BTW, I did check the caps for residual voltage. Only the "death cap" had any -- about 124 volts. I drained it with my homemade aligator clip-resistor thing.

I also removed the power supply caps under the doghouse and actually de-populated the entire board:

I then put in some Sprague Atoms, with a 20uF-500v in the first position to get a little extra filtering:

Solder applied :D :

Also replaced the bias cap, too. Sorry, no picture.

Took out the original cord and put in a 3-wire cord. Tied in the earth ground to the P/T lug.

And then cut out the death cap.

Finally, I cleaned the tube sockets with Deoxit, and the I also cleaned the pots with Caig MCL Faderlube. Bolted it back together and then fired it up.

It sounded pretty bad, like the volume pots were noisy and bad. I then put in some NOS 7025s in V1 and in V2, and then I put in a matched set of Delco 6V6GTs in the power tube positions. The originals were 11 milliamps off from each other!

Boy oh boy, but did that make a difference! The Vibrato channel sounds like the typical blackface sound to me, but the Normal channel sounds more meaty and bluesy. More mids and bite, like a brown face amp.

I love it!! Here it is with the obligatory Tele and without.

It's late, but tomorrow I will check the resistors to make sure that they are in spec. I forgot to do that.

These are great amps -- I highly recommend picking one up if you can. :)

Last edited:

slider313

Gold Supporting Member
Wow Jeff, real nice and great score !! That sure is clean. Congratulations and enjoy.

RussB

low rent hobbyist
There's a filter cap missing under the doghouse!

It should have 2 16uf caps wired in parallel for the mains, another 16uf for the screen supply, and 2 16 uf's for the pre-amp.

Where oh where is the other cap?

Geetarpicker

There's a filter cap missing under the doghouse!

It should have 2 16uf caps wired in parallel for the mains, another 16uf for the screen supply, and 2 16 uf's for the pre-amp.

Where oh where is the other cap?
Non-reverb Deluxes only have x4 16uf caps under the can. I don't miss the extra filtering on my two '64s, and recapped them both with 16uf @475v Atoms.

That one sure is clean! Just recently I got a '72 Deluxe reverb and it's 100% original down to every single tube and cap. It still sounds great, though both of my '64 sounded weak until the caps under the can were replaced.

The non-reverb blackface deluxes are my favorite small Fenders. I've owned 6 over the years.

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
Awesome score. That amp is in great shape. Glad to see you got it up and running....

slider313

Gold Supporting Member
Non-reverb Deluxes only have x4 16uf caps under the can. I don't miss the extra filtering on my two '64s, and recapped them both with 16uf @475v Atoms.
I use the 20uf@500v more for it's ability to handle the extra 25 volts when you take the amp off standby. The overall feel is just a little tighter with the 20uf.

Mickey Shane

apolitical
Gold Supporting Member
MMMmmmm, nice amp! I had been watching that one. I guess right up until I was being busy doing something besides paying attention.

Great score! I'll be looking for the next one.

Angle Loss

Excellent and informative thread. Great job!

I wish more BF owners would have their amps serviced. Every time I buy one, I open it up to find that after 40+ years that not one owner has ever had the caps changed. I wish more guitarists were informed as to the benefits of replacing old caps. I currently have a Princeton Reverb (recently purchased) that I've got to give some love by doing a cap job and maintenance.

Enjoy that Deluxe!

soli528

Look, my first gold medal.
Gold Supporting Member
Those RCA's are 6V6GTA's rather than GT's, no? The GTA's carry a really high premium, though it sounds like they're not matched well at all. Still, if they test good they should be worth a pretty penny, even individually.

JDJ

Silver Supporting Member
One has a cracked base, but both work. I don't have a tester unfortunately. I will check to see if they are marked GTA tonight. :)

soli528

Look, my first gold medal.
Gold Supporting Member
They're marked GTA on the glass (as seen in pic) :D
The cracked base doesn't help, but those are widely regarded as the holy grail of 6V6's in a Deluxe.

JDJ

Silver Supporting Member
Since the amp came with the instruction manual, warranty and schematic, I decided to post photos of them for fun. :)

Notice how someone wrote "2" where the amp rating is located.

Bottle_Rocket

Love the part where they say it can be used as a record player amp.

When I was a kid I did this with my Gibson amp with my new Cream Wheels of Fire LP! Toad blew me away and probably killed a few brain cells as well.

Hahahah! Great Pics and nice clean amp you got there.

I had a friend that had a clean '65 Deluxe Reverb refurbished like new. Best amp I ever played through. I also used his L series Strat as well. WOW!!!!

Talk about getting spoiled.

stratus

Gold Supporting Member
Absolutely great stuff to see! I've never seen original paperwork with an old DR before. Very cool indeed. Thanks.

Trending Topics