1965 Fender P Bass

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by ishootcanon, Dec 27, 2017.

1. ishootcanon

ishootcanon Member

So a friend of mine was given a 65 Jazzmaster and a 65 P bass. He found on a construction job in the basement. They said he could have both. Crazy.. Anyway I'm selling the P bass for him. I'm not sure of the value for it. Any idea? Someone thought it would be a great idea to install another pickup so I know that will effect value. It's player grade for sure but it feels great. Has the original HSC.

Theorist, alamere and fretless like this.
  2. jcs

jcs Member

I would pull the pickguard and do a series of pics.....this bass needs lots of closeup pics.

The trussrod needs to be functioning, no neck issues, no other changed parts or mods etc need to be documented.

I would go to the Talkbass forum, thats your best shot.....where are you located?

3. ishootcanon

ishootcanon Member

Ive got loads of pictures I just didn't want to unload too many here. Truss rod functions. I haven't pulled the pickguard yet though.

jcs likes this.
  4. jcs

jcs Member

What that route looks like will determine desirability.....Are the pickups wired together all of the time? looks like a Gibson humbucker.

5. jazzwannabe

jazzwannabe Supporting Member

It's obviously been modded, which will have a negative effect on the value even if everything else is original and works properly. If it were mine, I'd pull that neck pickup and install a stock-looking guard.

6. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Just off the top of my head here. I think without the extra pickup that's a comfortably $6000 instrument. Unfortunately, the pickup ruins the guard (might be tricky to find a replacement but not impossible) and more seriously means a rout underneath it. Maybe $2000 off for that.

/rick

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    Burwabit likes this.
  7. jcs

jcs Member

The conditon and playability of the neck are key as well....any dead spots or other issues will affect price and obviously the route itself....IF its a great player and sounder and the neck is stellar (neck is everything on Fenders) its hard to put a price on it imo.

Originality overall is crucial....pickguard isn't a deal breaker to a player but the route itself needs to be evaluated...if the rest is all there, it seems like a very cool bass.

Burwabit likes this.