1966 335 tuner replacement advice needed

speedtaco

I would appreciate any advice on new tuner replacements for my 1966 ES 335. Original ones are bent and slipping. I tried some of those locking types, but I don’t like them. I ordered a set off eBay, and the shafts were too big for the holes. Thanks in advance For any ideas!

Chris Scott

Gotoh makes a great replacement. Model# SD 90...they're direct replacements, with a better gear ratio for tuning accuracy.

Allparts # TK 0770, suffix code will indicate Nickle, Gold or Black.

Chris Scott

Assuming your tuners are the Kluson stamped steel ones, the Gotohs should drop right in. However, if they don't I'd just swap the ferrules out as well.

It's not uncommon for the ferrules to get loose, and if they are I'd recommend dabbing some carpenter's glue (Titebond will do just fine) on the serrations with a Q-Tip and press them back in...in those cases where they want to fall out on their own, I'll cut a small strip of paper (be as precise as you can) and wrap one layer around the serrations as well...with the glue they'll usually stay put with just a light interference fit.

Good luck!

Drew816

Chupacabra Psychiatrist and Meme Thief
Silver Supporting Member
Gotohs and done.

I had a set on my 66/68 for 20+ years when I sold it. I've had a set of Gotoh lockers on my '70 w/ Bibsby for probably 8-9 years now? Perfect.

Laurent Brondel

Silver Supporting Member
Kluson makes excellent replicas and you can get the double line/double ring tulip buttons correct for the vintage of your guitar, age them slightly or have it done.
The Gotoh's are always good but are available only in no-line casings, if that matters.

crashbelt

Silver Supporting Member
I go for aged Gotohs every time and don't worry about lines on the casings. They work really well - I must have used 5 or 6 sets on vintage Gibsons to preserve the originals and have tuners that work properly. I tried Kluson replacements and they weren't as smooth operating or well engineered.

pepedede

I would appreciate any advice on new tuner replacements for my 1966 ES 335. Original ones are bent and slipping. I tried some of those locking types, but I don’t like them. I ordered a set off eBay, and the shafts were too big for the holes. Thanks in advance For any ideas!

Gotoh, but I would go for the sd510 kluson version on such a quality guitar. I have them on my R8 and they are by far better. I didn't have to replace the ferrules in the headstock and direct swapped. They have great gears and bushings.

charliechitlins

Silver Supporting Member
I must be in the minority. I can't say I've ever had an issue with Klusons.
I have...but not slipping.
In 40 years of messing with a LOT of guitars, I have only seen 1 tuner slip. It was old and no good when it was new.
I straighten them all the time with needle nose and a piece of plastic tube to avoid marring the shaft. I think they may be plated brass, as they bend easily.
They can also be disassembled/cleaned/serviced.
The casing metal is ductile enough that the tabs can be bent out and back in without breaking off.
They're fine tuners and can be made to operate sweetly.

Chris Scott

I have...but not slipping.
In 40 years of messing with a LOT of guitars, I have only seen 1 tuner slip. It was old and no good when it was new.
I straighten them all the time with needle nose and a piece of plastic tube to avoid marring the shaft. I think they may be plated brass, as they bend easily.
They can also be disassembled/cleaned/serviced.
The casing metal is ductile enough that the tabs can be bent out and back in without breaking off.
They're fine tuners and can be made to operate sweetly.

The issue with many older instruments ime is that the worm (or "horizontal") gear (on the tuner button shaft) can end up binding up on the cover, making the tuner almost impossible to use, as it becomes too tight to turn. I've had to finesse quite a few of them through the years in order to get them to work properly.

The post screw can become loose (rare, at least ime), causing excessive wobble on the tuner post as well.

The truth of the matter is that when it comes to tuners, replacement's usually the best option. I'm pretty stubborn though, and always try to repair them when possible...somehow I feel better the more "whole" the instrument is

MajorLedhead

Silver Supporting Member
I have no complaints about the Grover Rotomatics used as replacements on a '67 Guild Starfire .

drpoyer

Silver Supporting Member
I have a 68 that is my number one. I used the Kluson’s and they matched up nicely. look almost identical to the Gibson Label’s they replaced.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom