1966 Fender Pro Reverb Recap job ??

daveS

lefty dude on hiatus
Platinum Supporting Member
I'm just going to head over to King Amplification and check in with Val. He's the real deal and I know he won't do anything shady.....plus, he knows Fenders.

By the way I played through this amp tonight at home for about an hour...had it pretty loud at half volume on the reverb/vibrato channel. It sounds like money....hard for me to believe it needs any recap or service.

Love this amp so far. Leo got it right yrs ago didn't he ?

JDJ

It sounds like money....hard for me to believe it needs any recap or service.

Love this amp so far. Leo got it right yrs ago didn't he ?

Mine was like that, but had the caps done and a new cord. The change in tone was nearly imperceptible... tightened the bass up ever so much.

Jimcord1

I'm picking up a 66 BF Fender amp sight unseen and it may need a recap
I know this is an older thread, and there's a lot of 'advice' already here, but I'm always amazed/confused by the blindly accepted group-think that's infected the various forums. In your initial post, you describe your familiarity with the amp as 'sight unseen', yet are automatically preparing to put it under the knife. To be sure, a precious gem like this should be gone over by a vintage expert to ensure your safety, and the amps; but as you posted after you received the amp, the seller had a proper inspection done, and it received 'a clean bill of health'. What concerns me is if he hadn't done so, it very likely would have ended up on a bench somewhere being needlessly 'repaired'; it can only be original once! I think this is the absolute best article I've EVER read on the subject. He's blunt, and to the point, but its the kind of reality check I wish would sweep through the forums, even just to spare one other less fortunates the wrath of the 'tech's billable hours quotas:
http://www.skipsimmonsamps.com/truthaboutvintageamps.html

Jimcord1

I'm picking up a 66 BF Fender amp sight unseen and it may need a recap
I know this is an older thread, and there's a lot of 'advice' already here, but I'm always amazed/confused by the blindly accepted group-think that's infected the various forums. In your initial post, you describe your familiarity with the amp as 'sight unseen', yet are automatically preparing to put it under the knife. To be sure, a precious gem like this should be gone over by a vintage expert to ensure your safety, and the amps; but as you posted after you received the amp, the seller had a proper inspection done, and it received 'a clean bill of health'. What concerns me is if he hadn't done so, it very likely would have ended up on a bench somewhere being needlessly 'repaired'; it can only be original once! I think this is the absolute best article I've EVER read on the subject. He's blunt, and to the point, but its the kind of reality check I wish would sweep through the forums, even just to spare one other less fortunates the wrath of the 'tech's billable hours quotas:

DavidG

Thanks for that link! Some great reading there..

StratTone

Some good info there but I would say most of the people here and others already follow these procedures. I think the debate is still up for some on the electrolytics but usually that comes down to what the owner is doing with the amp. If I have a guy that doesn't want to keep coming back and doesn't care to pay for a component level repair and would rather replace all I have no problem with that but I will still save all the old components and put them in a back for him. On my own personal amps I don't change anything unless it is bad or going bad. I will go against that for certain amps though like say a '74 Super I have I completly went through because I intended that for it. I wanted a full refresh and it was the perfect amp to test a lot of the theories I've read and been told on boards. Lots of smart guys on these boards and it makes me feel good knowing others have my same interest in preserving these gyms.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom