• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

1966 Princeton Reverb

jb83

Silver Supporting Member
I've got a line on one of these-sounds great and looks great. The seller wants $1,825. Only issues are missing top back panel and missing reverb tank bag. Is this still a good price?

67super

Verify that it has original transformers and take a look inside. If it's all original that is a competitive price for that amp. Me personally if I had $1825 to spend on an amp it wouldn't be that, your paying for a the latest thing everyone wants. I just traded a Super Reverb for a ToneKing Imperial. That $1825 could get you a nice amp like that. There is no comparison as far as tone and quality goes. PR are really nice but stupid high price for a 1 trick pony. Of course if your willing to ship and use maybe Reverb.com you might be able to flip it for a profit.

VJF

It's properly discounted but if you're willing to spend that much...for only $175 more you can get a completely original 1966 PR with nothing missing and possibly one with a Jensen C10N speaker.

StevenO

If it helps, vintage Princeton Reverbs are quite literally my favourite amps. If it's a one trick pony, then it's certainly one hell of a trick. It's the only trick I've needed for a wide variety of musical situations and takes pedals like no other amp I've owned. Just a beautiful sound.

Mine is a Silverface version with a 50 watt Weber 10f150t. I go at it for around $700 or so and out of all my vintage Fender amps, I wouldn't sell this one for any amount of money. I could get rid of every amp I have, and this one would be the one that stays. For my uses, it's that good.

FF71

Silver Supporting Member
I've got a line on one of these-sounds great and looks great. The seller wants $1,825. Only issues are missing top back panel and missing reverb tank bag. Is this still a good price?
$1,500 tops IMHO. I think that's the $$ the seller wants anyways. He just added the $325 for lowball maneuvering. :D Any pics?

Boomstick

A store near me will sell a completely original blackace Super or Twin Reverbs for around $1500. The Internet is asking $2500 for the same amps, but that seems to be a window shoppers price as they seem to sell for less. So $1825 for a Princeton isn't a deal I can't pass on, but its not a deal breaker for me either. If you like it, buy it. I know I'd like it.

67super

If it helps, vintage Princeton Reverbs are quite literally my favourite amps. If it's a one trick pony, then it's certainly one hell of a trick. It's the only trick I've needed for a wide variety of musical situations and takes pedals like no other amp I've owned. Just a beautiful sound.

Mine is a Silverface version with a 50 watt Weber 10f150t. I go at it for around $700 or so and out of all my vintage Fender amps, I wouldn't sell this one for any amount of money. I could get rid of every amp I have, and this one would be the one that stays. For my uses, it's that good.
Don't get me wrong, I love PR and have one. I have been playing and gigging vintage Fenders for decades and have several. For me I had a real epiphany recently when I traded for the ToneKing. I actually wanted a PR or in trade because of my own experience with them but once I played the TK I was blown away, frankly I want another. They are all great amps :)

StevenO

Don't get me wrong, I love PR and have one. I have been playing and gigging vintage Fenders for decades and have several. For me I had a real epiphany recently when I traded for the ToneKing. I actually wanted a PR or in trade because of my own experience with them but once I played the TK I was blown away, frankly I want another. They are all great amps :)
For sure! Mind you, if I paid 2 grand for my PR I would probably feel a little different about the amp, but I got mine for less than used reissue. But now that I have it, it completely changed my view on gear. I'd hate to have to replace it with something else. I don't even know what would replace it, I've played a variety of boutique amps that just don't quite compare, so until then I'll just enjoy it. :)

tmac

Goldmember
Platinum Supporting Member
$1700 if original/hasn't been messed with (other than normal maint. by good tech) and clean. The missing back panel/bag knocks it down a bit. Check the guts

Yer Blues

Anybody else deal with cab rattle/buzz on these when playing lower notes? I have a 75 with a g10 speaker. Maybe it is the speaker?

keithb7

One of the most popular amps of current times. You'll be over paying guaranteed. Imagine, having a discussion in 1980, about one of the most popular amps in 2016, being a Princeton Reverb. Laughable back then. How times have changed.

swiveltung

I wouldn't pay that for one, but it may be not too much over the going rate.
65,66 BF have gone for low as $1500 on Ebay recently.
Early SF Drip Edge have gone as low as $800, some of these are BF inside.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom