1966 Super Reverb - EMV 10m's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Bluesman Ric, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Bluesman Ric

Bluesman Ric Member

I am installing EVM 10m's into my 1966 Super Reverb. I took out the old baffle leaving the speakers and wiring intact on it. I am going to build a new baffle board out of 3/4 plywood. After placing the speakers on the floor and carefully sitting the amp chassis over them, it looks like I have 2 choices.. 1 is to shim the baffle board to where it sits out about an inch further than where it currently connects to, or move both transformers in amp to accomodate for the speakers. Has anyone done this before. I could just buy another cabinet and mount the speakers but I already take 2 or 3 amps to gigs and I'm not interested in taking more stuff. I have road cases for my vibroverb and super, so moving it won't be that bad. I know it's not cool to modify black face amps, but I'm a player and am interested in sound. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Buy another cabinet!!!!!!!!!

Why?

Because four EVM10ms PLUS the weight of the chassis/tubes/cab/transformers is so heavy you'll never move it.

Seriously.

I'm talking with experience. I found a cheapy 4x10 cab (easy to find cheap since most just want 4x12s) and when I use to gig with my super, I'd just lug the cab along. I always toyed with the idea of putting my super in a head form so it was less to bring to gigs, but never got around to it.

3. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

800 watts of heavy, loud and unforgiving (some would say sterile) speakers in a 45 watt amp?

4. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

Was that the quad I watched sell the other day on eBay?

5. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I'm in the same situation.

I bought a few EVM 10Ms and 10Ls with the idea of putting them in my Super Reverb.

I'm aware of the transformer issue so I bought a Fane AXA 10 to put in that spot. I believe it will fit if I remove the bell housing.

Having the Fane will give me the option of micing either speaker or both...not so bad.

With all of that said, that comment above about weight is spot on. I put two EVM 10Ls in my Prosonic combo and the thing is so heavy now I can barely lift it. My drummer used to always carry my amps up stairs for me and the only time he ever complained was the gig where I used that Prosonic.

He started to lift it, then turned to me and said "Are you sure this handle will hold?" That said it all.

I can't imagine what hauling a Super Reverb with four EVM 10Ms would be like and don't plan to find out. If I do install them the amp will become a permanent fixture in my studio...just like my 4x12 with EV SRO/12Ls.

As a final note, the Prosonic with the EVM 10Ls sounds fantastic. The amp was always a little light in the bottom end but now it is more solid and tight than my Super Reverb. It sounds like a Twin Reverb on steroids. The EVMs sound better than just about anything else at volume but they are not a bedroom speaker. The "sterile" comment above can be true at lower volume levels but at concert volume where the weaknesses of other speakers can become painfully apparent, little to nothing holds up as well.

I think the Super Reverb with the EVMs would sound incredible. If the weight isn't an issue for you (though I can't imagine how that could possibly be the case) go for it! :aok

6. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

HA! thats so true. For a time i just put the bottom two speakers in the super as EVMs thinking that would be ok... nope. That handle was like a noodle for picking up the amp (keep in mind those vintage rubber handles get SOFT! ha!

Now, understand, I'm not one of those dudes getting old who complain about marshall half stacks and heavy stuff. But putting 4 EVs into any combo is gonna be unrealistic. We're talking 150lb + unrealistic.

But go get that 4x10 cab with casters and enjoy the sound. The FIRST gig i ever played wiht the EVs was probably my favorite gig ever. it felt like every note's frequency was equally huge in any part of the venue. Monster perfect.

Wish I still played SRV style blues music as my main gig. Nowadays we've turned into a more mixed bag of music and that kinda rig just doesn't cut it for vairiety music.

But enjoy that low Eb string! :)

7. otaypanky

otaypanky Gold Supporting Member

A blackface style handle typically has a steel band inside of the rubber.

Taking into consideration the difference of weight as compared to the stock speakers, it's adding about 60 lbs. to a 65 lb amp.

Wow

8. tmac

tmac Goldmember Gold Supporting Member

it will collapse into a black hole. I think I'd put the origianl cab aside and get Mather to build you a new SR cab that will accomodate the EV's. have him put wheels on it.

9. harry65

harry65 Member

i see ya bought the quad from my bud pete , i got the last one , tryin to figure out what to put it in...........

10. Roe

Roe Member

you need to sell some of those to me

11. Bluesman Ric

Bluesman Ric Member

I did buy 4 from Pete. I also have 3 more. 2 of them are coming in from Canada next week.

12. Bluesman Ric

Bluesman Ric Member

At least in theory, lol, the weight might not bother me so bad. I have most amps in road cases and roll them about everywhere I go. My music trailer has a ramp door. Right now I have the super reverb, a vibroverb in a 69 super reverb cabinent and a blackfaced super six reverb. For real small rooms, I leave all that behind and use my music man rd50 with an ev in it.... I've just always wanted to try it one time and as you guys have pointed out, it could be a big mistake. Here is a link to my current rig... on this tune, most of guitar sound is first minute and starting back at 4 minute mark. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx6_ifti9GA

13. Stk1520

Stk1520 Supporting Member

I have three EVM 10Ms and one Weber 10F150 in my Super Reverb and it weighs 102 lbs. (according to my bathroom scale). Definitely a handful to move around but sounds glorious. If you have a road case with castors and someone to help you carry it up and down stairs then you should be alright.

14. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Fixed. ;)

Sounds like you did what I am planning to do but I'm going to use my Fane AXA 10 Alnico for the fourth speaker instead of the Weber.