1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

1966 Telecaster price check

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by korby, May 19, 2011.

1. korby

korby Member

Original owner selling .
    Stuff done to it .
    Gibson humbucker was put in in the neck early 1970's

The bridge pickup is stock.

The guitar was professionally refinished in the late 70's at which time it was also professionally refretted.

Other than the toggle switch all the other electronics (meaning the two potentiometers) have been replaced. The original volume control pot seized up and wouldn't turn in either direction and the tone control was sounding quite scratchy so they were replaced with a couple of Allen-Bradley pots.

2. Csapo

Csapo Gold Supporting Member

Man, that's a lot of work done.

So original neck, tuners, bridge p/up, saddles & bridge, control plate, knobs, p/up switch and routed body. Original nut or was that replaced with the refret?

$1500 to $2000, tops (and I might be being a bit generous)...

3. pickslide

pickslide Supporting Member

Always hard to gauge approximate worth. I guarantee that if you saw this guitar posted on ebay or gbase from a dealer they would easily try to get $3K+ and the reality is that somebody would likely buy it.

I would definitely take that tele you are talking about for Csapo's range though.

4. Csapo

Csapo Gold Supporting Member

Is this on ebay currently?

If so, not a good pic of the nut, which looks like it is metal, brass maybe.

Plus I would check out the logo and its placement, too.

Not sure about this one...

5. korby

korby Member

It belongs to a Recording studio that's been around forever , I'm not to worried about it being fake , he's up front about the changes . He wants $2,500 , it's a bit of a drive .

6. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

$2500 would be top national retail if the refin and refret were professionally done.