1966 Vibrolux Reverb Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Bill, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Bill

Bill Member

I recently acquired a 1966 Vibrolux Reverb. The amp is exceptionally clean so I doubt it has ever had any service or maintenance done to it. I know it needs a cap job but I might want to try a few more tweaks since I would like to gig with this amp. Who is a good Fender amp tech that I should consider doing the work? And what besides a cap job and changing the negative feedback loop will improve this amp?

Thanks for the upcoming suggestions... :AOK

2. mkg

mkg Member

Bill, if you've got the one I think you've got (original Jensen C10Ns) then all you need is new electrolytics...filter caps and bias coupling cap.
    When I got mine, virtually the same amp, I sent the chassis off to David Allen at http://www.allenamps.com
    He changed the caps and installed a grounded power cord. He'll also check to see if you need new tubes, and check to see if anything's drifted too far off value. That's really all you need. I'd forego any mods, this is the quintessential club amp as is.
    :AOK

3. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Best Fender amp ever. Congrats you lucky dog!

4. Mayflower

Mayflower Supporting Member

I have a 65.
    Just do the sonic update with caps/etc...
    PLEASE no mods, they sound great factory spec. They are a little dipped in the midrange. But most BF Fenders are.
    Great volume and punch, turn up with a little bit of hair, then add pedals of your choice on the front-end.
    Do the cap job first, then take it from there!
    Good Luck!

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Usually, these amps don't need anything beyond the "30 year oil change" (cap job, complete checkout, replacement of crucial resistors).

Since the normal channel is useless to a lot of people, I suggest modding it to Tweed/Bassman/Marshall type specs (with reverb if you like) so you'll have an additional tonal choice. Then you can use an A/B box for channel switching.

6. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I have one, the caps are changed. Played with some old tubes. I couldn't get the sound I wanted from the 10 inch speakers so stored those and the baffle away and made a single 12 inch baffle with aged cloth and logo sounds amazing now. The speaker I ended up with is a Weber Alnico Green frame Bluedog 12A150-16-50 watt.

I wouldn't modify mine in anyway that wasn't easily changed back.

7. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

These seem to be increasing in value very quickly

8. Bill

Bill Member

I appreciate all of the responses. Thanks...

908SSP, I want to experiment with a single 12" and compare it to the two tens although I think I am going to like the two 10s just fine. I am interested in experimenting with each set up, though.

mkg, mine is just 100 or so numbers off of yours. We have the exact same speakers. I expect I will greatly enjoy the C10Ns.

90wreck, for some reason pedals have just never worked for me. I know that it is now cool not to like pedals but that is not the reason I don't use them. They just never seem to help my sound but make me sound worse so I need the amp sounding like I need it to clean.

big mike, thanks...I agree. I have alway really liked this amp, too.

Blue Strat, I am interested in doing the Marshall thing and whatever else makes the amp more useable for me. I have the Marshall tweak on my Deluxe Reverbs and like it.

pfrishmann, I have thought that these amps have been overpriced for years but the market has never agreed with me so I just finally had to pay the price. Maybe my buying one will help the prices come down a bit. ;-)

9. mkg

mkg Member

Bill, and Mike K, you guys have piqued my interest concerning the Marshall tweak to the normal channel. Can you tell me what's involved?
    Thanks.

10. Dr.Tom

Dr.Tom Supporting Member

Bill,

Nice score ! I have a '66 Vibrolux Reverb also. Mine has the brown and gold Jensen C10Q's. They sound amazing. I got another pair of the Jensens C10Q's for one of my '68 Vibrolux Reverbs. Can you tell which are the 2 '68 Vibrolux Reverbs ?

[​IMG]

Regards,

Tom

11. mkg

mkg Member

Nice collection, Doc. Looks like one is underneath the '66 and one is on top of the Super with what looks like masking tape on the faceplate. And is that a 335 hiding in the right forefront?
    :BEER

12. Dr.Tom

Dr.Tom Supporting Member

mkg,

Thank you. You were right on the one under the '66 Vibrolux Reverb. The other is on the right side of the Marshall under the Vox AC-15. It must be the wide angle lens and where I shot the picture from . The other amp on top of the Super Reverb is a '68 Deluxe Reverb in near mint condition. That's not masking tape but a piece of wood I cut to the size of the chassis opening of the Super Reverb. I did that so that I could mount the chassis of the Super Reverb in a Bandmaster Reverb head cab. The piece of wood seals the front of the speaker cab so I can still use it. Here's a close up of the Super Reverb:

[​IMG]

I also did the same thing with my '65 Pro Reverb and mounted the chassis in a Dual Showman Head Cabinet(amp on lower shelf) :

[​IMG]

That's not an ES-335 in the picture of all the amps but a '68 Vox Sidewinder Bass. My natural ES-335 is in this picture:

[​IMG]

Regards,

Tom

13. edcat

edcat Supporting Member

Do most of these comments hold true for Silverface Vibrolux reverb's also? I've purchased a 72 which will be arriving later in the week that might need some work on it.

14. Tomo

Tomo Member

Congrats on that amp. I own 1964 Vibrolux Reverb(Fender electronics..)
    Please do just cap job(basic stuff) and no mod first. You may like
    the tone with stock. I like stock pretty much. I have 3 Pro Reverbs,
    Super.. many other fenders. Start slow and check to see what you
    really like (start from totally stock). Gold jensen C10Ns are great for
    lower volume.. but once you turn up your amp.. they seems tired quickly?
    Eminence Legend 10s ,RC are great choices too. Enjoy your amp!

PS, just swapping tubes makes huge difference in tone too.
    I used to spend my Saturday afternoon swapping my tubes to hear
    the difference

DrTom,

Great collections! Great music room too.
    Do you record those amps a lot?

Tomo

15. Dr.Tom

Dr.Tom Supporting Member

Tomo,

Thank you. It sounds like you got quite a collection also. If you see the music room; we have just started to record and I'm actually using the '68 super reverbs, a '66Pro Reverb and a '68 Bandmaster reverb for recording. Only because it was easier to mic what was already set up for practice. I record live practices and record 16 tracks at once. I'm looking for a "live" sound rather than studio sound. Maybe in the future I'll record some of the "smaller" Fenders. Tell me about your fenders and how you use them.

Regards,

Tom

16. Tomo

Tomo Member

Hi Tom,

You're welcome and thank you for writing. I always like fenders clean
    tone. I have been using for my Pro Reverb as my main amp for
    many many years. but now I am using my Fuchs 50 & Bob Burt
    signature cabs. 1 12 or 2 12.

I have my pro tools... but when I record my band stuff, I just go to
    the recording studio. for my demos or checking on tone... I use
    my 4 track tape recorder and dump those to my pro tools.(to mp3s)

My Pro Reverbs.. each Pro Reverb has different speakers.
    (67',65',65;)you can check out my website's pics section.
    I use princeton reverb, champ too. How I use them?
    mostly good clean tone. then if I need od tone. I use pedals.

I like fenders clean sound so i set around volume 3-4, treble 6-7
    bass 4.. very simple. Now mostly I use my Fuchs 50 and Bob Burt
    1 12 cab. very simple and great, big sound.

Good luck on your recording!
    Please post your tone.

Tomo

17. kwpowell

kwpowell Member

Good Afternoon,

I recently aquired a 66 Vibrolux Amp myself,,,,but I want to get rid of it....Can you guys give me an idea of it's value....It is missing the control knobs,,and the 6L6s have benn replaced with Groove Tube, everything else is original (I am told) and it is in excellent condition...Thanks

You can email any questions to kennethwpowell@gmail.com

18. GDS Racing

GDS Racing Member

I also just bought an old Vibrolux. Actually, it found me and followed me home! :) Mine is a '65 but the cabinet is a basketcase. Someone decided it was not bright enough and installed two plastic tweeter horns on each side panel! They wired them in by twisting some wires onto the main speaker wires! They even hacked through the tube chart to do this. However, the chassis is relatively untouched and it still sounds great. It doesn't really need anything much at all. A couple main caps were replaced and possibly a couple signal caps on the board. Anyone have a good empty cabinet and a pair of Jensen C10 speakers?