• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

1967 Gibson es355

riker4208

Hey guys, theres a beautiful 355 on craigslist here in portland oregon. Doesn't anyone have any info on these guitars? Seems like a comparable guitar to the 335....why so much cheaper? I want another 335, but I want to go vintage this time and get the absolute best vintage piece I can for my money. Here's the link.
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/msg/1072044111.html

webe123

$4,750.00??

I got a 59 Gibson ES 330T from the original owner for $2,800.00 and I was not even looking. You can find a LOT of deals these days as people are desperate.

And the paint overspray on the heel does NOT look stock, so be careful!

The ad says "with heel black detailing" but I don't know if this is a standard option from Gibson or not.

hogy

Hey guys, theres a beautiful 355 on craigslist here in portland oregon. Doesn't anyone have any info on these guitars? Seems like a comparable guitar to the 335....why so much cheaper? I want another 335, but I want to go vintage this time and get the absolute best vintage piece I can for my money. Here's the link.
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/msg/1072044111.html
Look at that ginormous headstock on that tooth pick neck.

BTW, I don't think this is much cheaper than a 335 from that period would be. The biggest drawback on those guitars is the super narrow neck with the extreme taper towards the body. Like a pencil by the nut and a baseball bat by the body.

That said, this is a very rare guitar. Mono 355s are rare to begin with, the black "stinger" by the heel is ultra rare, but did happen.

Of course, a "stinger" is often applied to hide a repair as well, so the finish would have to be examined carefully. Factory headstock "stingers" are slightly more common, but still rare as hen's teeth.

$4,750.00??

I got a 59 Gibson ES 330T from the original owner for $2,800.00 and I was not even looking.
Apples and oranges. A '59 330 is worth maybe 10% of what a '59 335 (or clean '59 355 mono) would go for.

If that guitar in the CL ad is all there it is a very fair price, even in the current market.

gadzooka

It's probably a well-made guitar that sounds great. The gold-plated humbuckers in 1967 are probably fantastic. I bought a clean, stock '67 ES-335 for close to that price when the market was much hotter, so you should have some negotiating room if the seller is reasonable. I would think closer to $4K is within reason. I don't know what to say about the heel stinger...looks cool, but I'd want to inspect it.

webe123

Apples and oranges. A '59 330 is worth maybe 10% of what a '59 335 (or clean '59 355 mono) would go for.

If that guitar in the CL ad is all there it is a very fair price, even in the current market.

Read what I SAID, I never said that my ES 330T was worth more than a ES 355 of the same year! I only said that there are deals to be had because of the economic times!

And I still think he can get a better deal, because of the times we are in.

riker4208

thanks guys. definitely answered my questions. Narrow neck is not what I'm looking for. so what years have the wider necks?

gadzooka

thanks guys. definitely answered my questions. Narrow neck is not what I'm looking for. so what years have the wider necks?
The transition to narrow happened during 1965, then back to wider maybe in the late70s(?) The early 80's DOT reissues definitely were back to wider.

So, you can go vintage wider ('58-early'65) and pay a good bit more, or go more recent-issue and pay less.

gadzooka

Look at that ginormous headstock on that tooth pick neck.
Someone on the LPF noted that this looks like a larger headstock than would normally be found on a 355. More like Barney Kessel headstock. I wonder if the neck was replaced or custom ordered?

TRGuy

Looks like a nice guitar but a bit of a weird neck joint! And yeah, thats a bit pricey, I got a '67 335, which I believe are worth more, in better condition, with a PAF in it somehow, for about $3500-4000.

gadzooka

Awesome AMSnell...you did well on your 335! I assumed the price was not in the $5000-6000 range anymore like it was when I was buying. Still, some people put them up on eBay for $8000-12000. Sheesh...

Trending Topics