1967 Heppner 15" Alnico speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Goldstrat, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Member

Does anyone have any experience with the old Heppner 15" speakers from the 60's? I have a cool amp being worked on right now that has one in. The amp is not right due to someone putting the wrong Transformer in it but it is going to be great when it's done. It is a Hilgen from 1967 and it sounds just like old Led Zepp with my Tele. The amp uses 7591a tubes and it wasn't near as loud as it should be. Any suggestions for the old Supro sound for speakers? Jensens?

2. jcs

jcs Member

got any pics of the heppner?

heppner were one of the many companies building speakers back then.

i have a sound amp and 67 ampeg gemini 2 both similar to your hilgen i bet.

3. phatster

phatster Member

+1 on the Hepner.I too have couple of the New Jersey made Hilgen amps...they are GREAT small fire breathers,the.y will definitely only go up in value

4. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Member

Hey, thanks for all the info! I thought this thread died. The Hilgen is being refurbished right now with a new transformer and caps etc. I can't wait to see how it sounds after that. Someone put a Thordarsen transformer in it that was the wrong value and it was all screwed up. The amp itself is in nice condition though and I think the Hepner might be OK too. I won't really know till I get some real volume going through it. I will see how it sounds once it is working right. Here is a pic of the amp but I don't have a pic of the speaker because it is in the shop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]