Sold 1968 Gibson ES-330 in Sparkling Burgundy, Pending Trade

Discussion in 'Guitar Emporium Archive' started by Jahn, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Now Also Listed on Reverb, with Reverb Direct Checkout Option Available via Credit Card or Reverb Credit if you don't like Paypal.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...8-gibson-sparkling-burgundy-es-330td.1649064/

There's my thread on it last year. Since then Guitartech in NYC swapped out the original bridge with the nylon saddles for a Gibson Custom Shop no-wire ABR-1 bridge. It's solid like a rock, but of course the original bridge will be included. The original hardshell case is long gone, but instead you get a well-worn but truly color-matching hard shell burgundy case from the 1960s, heck even the latches all still work. The pickguard is long gone, and there are two more attempts to screw pickguards in, apparent from the 4 additional screw holes - 2 on the top, 2 on the side, near the vicinity of the original 2 screw holes.

Original bridge P-90, but the neck was a later Gibson P-90 that didn't quite sound right to me. We sent it in to Lindy Fralin and sure enough - somehow the magnet in that P-90 was CRACKED. So Lindy tossed that mag, and pretty much reconstructed the whole pickup from the bottom up with vintage parts to perfectly match the 60s sound of the bridge pickup. Guitartech also used black spacers in the neck and bridge pickup routes to set the pickup height just right, and now this thing is perfecto. Guitartech didn't do it the cheapo way via snipping the leads - they fished everything out via the F-holes and soldered the pickups to the lugs they way they should be.

Everything else is factory stock, with the finish worn on the back of the neck to show the gold underneath, and the back of the body showing finish crazing but hey - that's character, right?

Anyhow, after getting this guy set up to be a killer player, I won't be shy in saying that it cost me $4750 out of pocket when it was all said and done. I am flexible for the right deal however.

Trades? A Stephen Stern Gretsch, or Something like this:

https://reverb.com/item/2068684-fender-jaguar-1962-black

Or something like this:

https://reverb.com/item/1045981-guild-starfire-iii-1961-ebony

Or something like this:

https://reverb.com/item/739335-fend...-stratocaster-2015-black-w-matching-headstock

Or heck, something like this:

https://reverb.com/item/1952183-used-1982-gibson-es-335-dot-electric-guitar-ebony

So in other words, something in black with a matching headstock not in direct competition with the types of guitars you see in my signature. The above examples mean some more cash on your end, but if you have something even more expensive, I don't have cash but maybe I have some gear to even things out if it truly surpasses any current cravings.

Like maybe for something like this:

https://reverb.com/item/876630-fender-bass-vi-1970-black-custom-colour-as-new

If you want close-ups of anything, I'll be happy to provide, as long as you don't want me to actually dismantle the guitar in any way, since it's set up perfectly right now.

[​IMG]

That's a pic of it before it went to Guitartech for the ABR-1 bridge swap and the neck pickup reconstruction. Again, if you want close-ups for what it looks like now with the new bridge and the pickups with spacers now, I'd be happy to provide. Oh, and pics of the "relic burgundy" case, haha.

Edit - oh, and it won't break your back. It weighs only 5.7 pounds, the lightest electric guitar I own.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  2. Rockitman

Rockitman Gold Supporting Member

Man that is sweet!

3. Jahn

Thanks! Instead of having to ask for the mojo pics, I took all the shots I could think of to show full disclosure. This is the guitar as it stands this morning. Click pics for big hi res. Frets are original, nubs still there, but I got the fret work done so it's good to go. Enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

De - Fre likes this.
  4. Jahn

Another trade idea would be something with two humbuckers, which strangely I don't have right now. Working on trades now, this might move soon, thanks for the quick interest!

5. Jahn

Rats, trade fell through, he decided to keep his after playing it again. don't blame him though, every guitar can be special!

Speaking of which, I took mine out for outside pics today and ran her through her paces- definitely a sweet player, giving me second thoughts too! Click the pics for high Rez big detail. This is how she stands as of today. No photoshop, this is actually how she shines in the daylight:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  6. Jahn

7. Jahn

8. Jahn

Here's a fun vid of Gruhn talking about a faded one - mine's only faded on the back of the neck, more from use than UV!

9. Jahn

I just became a Preferred Seller on Reverb, which means I can offer you Affirm financing now, yay!

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  10. Jahn

PENDING TRADE