1969 Fender Vibrolux Reverb vs Dr Z Maz 38

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hhawkins, Apr 28, 2016.

1. hhawkins

hhawkins Member

Wondering if anyone can chip in and offer some advice.

I have a 1969 Fender Vibrolux Reverb (all original) and I am considering selling it to buy a Dr Z Maz 38 or something similar. To be honest, I just fancy a change. I've heard so many things about Dr Z amps which has led me to the Maz 38. It's seems to be one of their most popular models and nearly everyone who has one raves about it.

So a few questions. Firstly, do you think it's worth selling the Vibrolux to get one? Secondly, can Fenderish tones be achieved from the Maz? Finally, is there anything else I should be looking at?

I need something that has a good amount of clean headroom but I don't want to be lugging round a twin. I had one and then thing nearly broke my back!

I like the Vibrolux because of its clean sound, it's weight and the 2x10 speaker configuration.

Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

2. fevzay

fevzay Member

I wouldn't sell until I could plug into one of the Z's to try. I say that as an owner of about 14 different Dr. Z models (only have one left....the EZG-50). More so than any other "boutique" brand I've encountered, they're just different. I've been disappointed when I was expecting a certain sound (based on tubes, etc.) only to find out that it doesn't do that sound how I want.

I'm in the states, so I'm a bit ignorant as to how far away Essex is. But... Peach guitars (two stores, I believe) is probably still Dr. Z's largest dealer near you. Is it possible to make a trek over there for a day?

It just sounds like a bad move to let go of an amp as rare as yours (particularly given your location in the world) before getting to try out something.

With regards to the MAZ 38. I owned one (a MAZ 38 NR) for a handful of years and played many others (NR and Reverb). It might be the Z I regret letting go of most; however, I don't think it does the Blackface sound all that well. Heck, I still have an EZG-50 that I've had quite a few years and I still don't think it nails the Blackface sound. Close? Yes, but not quite a match. I've done many side by side comparisons where I tried to match sounds. Obviously the Z will do more than a Fender, but if you've cut your teeth on a Fender then it might not satisfy you. That sums up all of Docs amps. Many people praise his originality and refusal to "copy" something else. He is indeed a genius. Just depends on whether or not close enough is good enough, and if you'll appreciate the something extra he does to his amps. I've found that certain amps of his didn't do what I wanted. I'm still trying to get used to the EZG-50 in spite of having probably 200 hours on it. It is a fantastic amp. But, it has different qualities than an old Blackface amp. Still trying to decide if I appreciate the differences or not.

3. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

The DrZ is not a light amp it sounds great but I think the Vibrolux can sound great, I have two,and love both a 65 and a 68 and had a DrZ 38 several years back and would use the Vibroluxs more for gigs as the DrZ was a loud amp .

4. hhawkins

hhawkins Member

Thanks for the response. Peach Guitars is indeed the closest shop to me that stocks DR Z amps in the UK. It wouldn't be a bad idea for me to travel over and try out a few different models. I've heard the EZG-50 is a killer amp, but again, I have no experience with it and have never had a chance to try any Dr. Z.

The Maz 38 however is the one I am drawn to because so many guys rave about it. I've also heard a few demos on youtube that sound pretty good.

I guess you're right though...no point in letting the Vibrolux go until I'm 100% sure that another amp is going to satisfy me.

5. tmac

tmac Goldmember Gold Supporting Member

keep the Vibrolux Rev. just find a way to add another amp if you need. You'll regret letting the Vibrolux go.
    I've had a couple Dr Z MAZ, 35 and 18 over the years, great amps. I still have a Vibrolux Rev.

QRSS and Blanket Jackson like this.
  6. Muzzy

Muzzy Supporting Member

I say, keep the vibrolux too. I think you will regret selling it.

Blanket Jackson likes this.
  7. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

I would also keep the Vibrolux...however, have you heard the John Mayall 70th birthday DVD? Buddy Whittington is using a Maz 38 and Z Best 2x12, and has some of the best tone I've heard.

8. Salfordlad

Salfordlad Member

Anybody that would get rid of a 1969 Vibrolux Reverb needs to be severely spanked!:D

9. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

keep the vibrolux - that is one of Fender's best combo amps EVER and they aren't getting any cheaper....

10. FFTT

FFTT Member

You'll kick yourself for letting the VR go.

Save up, be patient.

11. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

This. +1

12. Beng2040

Beng2040 Supporting Member

I've recently considered selling my 69 VR because I use my 64 DR 99% of the time now. You guys are convincing me otherwise...

I've played a few Dr. Z amps and they are not my sound at all. I'm a Fender guy and the Z was a lot more of an up front, in your face kind of a sound. Very forward sounding, if that's even a thing. It wasn't my cup of tea at all.

13. Stormin

Stormin Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Trading a vintage VR on a Z "for a change of pace" is crazy. Save some cash and buy a used Z.

14. Steve112

Steve112 Member

I'm with the "keep the Vibrolux" group.