1970 Fender Super Reverb Advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by EDBluefolk, Mar 23, 2015.

1. EDBluefolk

EDBluefolk Member

Hey all,

Just bought a 1970 Fender Super Reverb and I thought I'd get a few opinions from the crowd. The serial number would make it a 1971 (A50020) but the transformers are all 1970 based on their numbers (606047 on one, can't remember the other two off the top of my head) So do I have a 1970 or a '71? Also the speakers are the CTS Alnicos (137 6949) and they sound amazing...I absolutely LOVE the tone I'm getting BUT...would you keep the stock speakers in there or preserve the speakers, pull them out and put in good replacements? I'm kinda torn here...love the tone but want to keep it all original and not risk blowing them out as this will be my main amp for gigs now. Just looking for opinions and if you would replace them. I'd love some suggestions for which new speakers sound great in the SF Super Reverbs as well...thanks for your opinions.

2. SupremeDalek

SupremeDalek Member

It is a 71. If the speakers sound good, leave 'em in. I installed a set after buying my Super to be like the ones you have. Unless this is good a museum you aren't preserving anything. Play it!

3. soldersucker

soldersucker Member

CTS's are the sound of that amp.It's not a collectable minty 64 with Jensens so play it until they die.

4. jonnytexas

jonnytexas Supporting Member

Great amp, I have two of them and they are my favorite gigging amps. If you like the speakers, keep them in. One of mine had speakers that sounded tired when I bought it. WGS veteran 20's are very good in a super if you do decide to do a swap.

5. keithb7

keithb7 Supporting Member

I have a 71 Super, original speakers. I gig with it regularly. Amazing amps. Just use it. I doubt this amp will ever be collectable for investors. Just play it and enjoy it. Don't worry about trying to keep it 100% original. Here's mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. jonnytexas

jonnytexas Supporting Member

^^^Nice. I could look at supers all day.

7. EDBluefolk

EDBluefolk Member

Very nice, Keithb7! Beautiful amp...yours is a lot cleaner than mine. Mine has a lot of funk on it but a little rust and dust kinda add to it's charm in my opinion. More than likely I'll keep the speakers in it...just sounds too damn good not to use them. Any advice on routine maintenance? I'm not one to start pulling out caps and monkeying around inside the thing but basic stuff I'm sure I can handle. Thanks for the input so far!

8. zenas

zenas Member

Maintenance on an amp that age would be replacing all the electrolytics, modding the bias balance system, check the grounds, clean connections and add a grounded cord if it doesn;t have one. That's about the minimum and if it's working pretty well now probably about all it'd need.
    Some or all of that work may have been done already.

9. keithb7

keithb7 Supporting Member

I replaced all the electrolytic B+ caps, and bias caps in mine. The cathode caps too. My tremolo was acting up, I rebuilt that circuit. New RCA jacks and reverb cords. Plays like a dream now. Good for another 40 years.

Here it is done. The orange caps were what I chose to use when rebuilding the vibrato circuit.

[​IMG]

10. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Those CTS's are nice. If it's a 70 it will have the floating speaker baffle like a BF right? if a 71 it wont. I think....