1970 MIJ Aria Lawsuit Guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Antiquo Cantor, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Antiquo Cantor

Antiquo Cantor Member

I found a cool guitar in a shop today and was wondering if anyone had more info on it. It's a 1975 Aria MIJ SG. Bolt-neck, 3 HBs and a Bigsby-like trem, all chrome hardware. It's got the Gibson headstock and it just says Aria on it. It played very nice and seemed to be in very good condition with no major cosmetics issues. Didn't get a chance to plug it in. They're asking $300. Anyone know where I can get more info on 1970s Lawsuit Arias? Thanks.

2. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

I'd check Ebay sales for sure. The bolt on necks are definitely not the preferred. But if you like it and it's $300 or less.. maybe...I had a cherry 335 style several years ago. Was really nice with set neck..AND.. it had the Gibson logo on the headstock and orange sticker inside the F hole!! Talk about a lawsuit! it was actually a great guitar, gold hardware and the gold Humbuckers were amazing. Shouldn't have sold it.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  3. svenhoek

svenhoek Supporting Member

Many of the Arias are really, really good guitars, absolute steal for what they sell for.

4. ufo~

ufo~ Member

Get it! Those Matsumoku made guitars are only going to increase in value. Especially the "lawsuit" style with open-book headstocks. If it's a good player, sounds good and is in good shape, don't pass on it. I have two Matsu built guitars(Epiphone and Electra) and they are superb instruments. Really love them. Well worth the current asking prices, imho.

5. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

I should add... there are some Matsumoku guitars that are terrible also... so be careful buying one sight un seen.... I bought a Walnut 335 type made in the late 70's early 80's that the strings were ~ 3/8 off the fretboard on the bass side.... with bridge adjusted down!

6. karma1

karma1 Member

I've got a late 60's Aria 335-style MIJ at Matsumoko. The pickups sound surprisingly great, and I really like the look of it. The only problem is that the neck is a bit narrow up at the first few frets and I find it harder to play chords or notes accurately in the first position. So its not a guitar I'd gig with, but I've used it more in the studio. It needed some work when I bought it for $200, and I spent another $100 having it set up by Larry Cragg, who is Neil Young's guitar tech. Vintage Aria's are nice guitars for the money, but I'd want to play it first to make sure it feels right for you.

[​IMG]

7. cugel

cugel Member

I have a 70s Aria Everly Brothers-ish clone with star inlays and flame maple back. pretty good guitar for 200 bucks