1970's EHX Small Stone's vs. the Nano

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by UrbanHymns, Feb 19, 2012.

1. UrbanHymns

UrbanHymns Supporting Member

About 10 years ago, I owned an old 1970's EHX Small Stone phaser - the ones in the bigger boxes with orange lettering. I think the red lettering came after that.

Anyway, I never had a chance to A/B the vintage with the new Nano phaser. Just curious as to how the two compare - I'm thinking of getting one again.

2. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus Member

Don't even bother with the Nano. If you want a newer one, get the big box reissue (V4). The nano has the Small Stone vibe of course(it doesn't sound like any other phaser), but it is definitely the worst Small Stone I have used.

3. smallstoner

smallstoner Member

I like the Nano. It has no volume drop, true bypass and fits on a pedalboard nicely. Sonically, I don't hear much difference, if any.

At the bottom of this page there are samples of all iterations of the Small Stone, including the Nano: http://www.pedalarea.com/small_stone.htm

4. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

A 70s unit will have a significant volume drop when activated.

5. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

That's true, but they do sound incredible. The Nanos don't have the drop but sound like crap by comparison.

6. Marrrty

Marrrty Member

Yep I agree. I use it for a subtle phase anyway. I own a big box reissue but for size bought a nano. Never regretted it. Cheap, no volume drop, pedalboard friendly and sounds great!

7. mwvm

mwvm Member

thanks for the link....interesting read.... the small stone for me is the biz... i was pondering a nano as i miss mine

8. hanales

hanales Member

I've owned 4 different small stones, including the nano. Price, form-factor and tone are all fantastic. It's subtly different from my favorite which is the V2, but those differences will be lost in a live environment. If you sit and A/B you can catch this or that, but when you're actually playing the differences are minimal. Plus it has a standard jack and no volume drop.

Test a couple if you buy it new, however, seems the QC on the nano series is not fantastic.

9. FuzzGazer

FuzzGazer Member

I use my vintage SS a lot for recording, live I use a EVH Phase90 since it doesn't have the volume drop. The Nano is... Not my favorite.