1971 Harmony Rocket- Upgrade tuners or not ?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by stump, Jan 29, 2012.

1. stump

stump Member

My first electric guitar was a 1971 Harmony Rocket H53-1 which I still have. It is a hollow body, double cutaway with a single Dearmond foil pickup in the neck position. The guitar plays and sounds fine but I am missing one of the ferrules that is inserted around the tuning post to keep it centered. It stays in tune ok, but I'm sure could be better.

I have a brand new set of Tone Pros Klusons that fit the spacing and screw holes perfectly. The only difference is that I would need to open up all six post holes.

Would the Tone Pros be a significant upgrade in tone and tuning stability? Would it detract from the value of the guitar now or in the future. It's probably worth $200-$300 tops as far as I can tell. What are your thoughts? Thank you in advance.

2. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

Put em on there and keep the old ones.
    That is what I do when I change out tuners.
    I don't like Grovers, and never have, but I keep them when I replace them with better tuners, so that I can return the guitar to original if I decide to sell it AND so that I can keep the tuners I like.

3. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Stew-Mac sells a variety of tuner ferrules if you want to try just replacing the missing one

4. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

call around to some local repair shops and ask if they have any of those ferrules.

5. stump

stump Member

I called a few local shops and am going to try to match one up. I'd like to keep the guitar original if possible. I'll take a look at Stew Mac, I didn't think of them. If I can't find a good match I'll install the TonePros. They are more solid than the stock ones and probably an improvement stability and tone wise. Thanks.

6. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

I don't know of any repros of those. The look of the old ones is distinctive so you should be able to spot them in a drawer full of extras.

7. stump

stump Member

I just got back from my search. The first shop that I stopped at and is closest to me had exactly one in a bin of spare parts. I had the tuners and bushings with me and it is a perfect match. A big thank you goes out to Bob at Kurlan Music in Worcester, Massachusetts. They have always treated me well there and this time was no exception. Bob wouldn't even take any money for it, he was just happy to help. This definitely turned out to be a lucky day for me.