1971 Marshall 4x12 "Bass" logo cab restoration project...and poll to TGP members

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Scumback Speakers, Jan 11, 2006.

What should I do with this ultra rare Bass cab beater?

Poll closed Dec 31, 1969.
  1. Fix it up with the minimal amount of work, and sell it on eBay.

11.4%
  2. Restore as much as I can with my pile of vintage logos, cloth, speakers and sell it on eBay.

6.8%
  3. Completely restore it from top to bottom and make it look like it did in 1971!

63.6%
  4. Ship it to your place for an indefinite evaluation and you'll get back to me, in restored condition!

18.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Well, I was at it again in late November and found another old Marshall metal handled cab that needs serious restoration...and I mean SERIOUS! Yikes, has this one been around the block! Issues to deal with...

1) All four G12M speakers have been properly reconed with 6402 recone kits, Celestion's best ever IMO. Too bad two of them have shifted magnets from being handled roughly, or damage in shipping (yet another damage claim...sheesh!)
    2) Tolex is pretty beefed, gone on the bottom altogether, screw in casters are missing although the caster bases are there.
    3) Gold piping over the top & bottom is discolored (to say the least!).
    4) Grillcloth is just gone, and the white piping is cut out and painted black where it still shows.
    5) Logos are history & need replacing...thank God I have some to replace them with, the 9" Marshall white logo (I have an original) and the ultra rare "Bass" logo, which I have one of as well. The Bass logo has three mounting pins in different places than a 100 logo, folks, in case you wonder how to know if it's originally a Bass cab or not.
    6) Metal handles are riveted in, not screwed in as in the late 60's cabs.
    7) Speaker bolts are non original, T nuts are stripped, several of the bolts are stripped and won't come out (have to be drilled).
    8) Back panel has one extra jack hole cut (non original) but still has it's riveted in model # tags and serial # tags (lightly oversprayed with black paint).
    9) Missing logo mounting plywood block in the center of the baffleboard.
    10) The usual dings, dangs, cuts, abrasions and other "whoops" errors in the tolex and the wood.

Here's the cab pics as it sits now. I've taken out the speakers and painted the baffle board & put in new speaker bolts and T nuts, but that's as far as I went before discovering it was the ultra rare "Bass" logo'd cab.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, here's the poll question for all of you. The shipping damage claim will make this cab almost free, and I have a quad of original cone 71 G12M or G12H30 Pre Rola's I could restore it with, along with alot of original parts, NOS cloth, etc., so what should I do with it?

2. bailnout

bailnout Member

Your poll didn't haver the option I would have gone for...pull the 2 remaining good speakers, sell them on eBay and let the rest of it go. With this much restoration to do, it seems to me you might as well just build a brand new cabinet to exact Marshall specs.

But since that's not an option in your poll, I voted to bring it back to 1971 condition. If you are going to do it, go all the way. Besides, it's obvious this is something you enjoy.

Have fun!

3. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Give to me of course!

Get it as close to original as you can, but looking good, and play the crap out of it.

4. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

looks like a perfect canidate for restoration
    free money!
    sell the good speakers and load it with scumbacks
    i bet it would sell ultra quick.

5. AtomEve

AtomEve Member

Yo Jim

Restore it to 1971 and THEN ship it to me for an indefinate evaluation!!!!!

I just picked up an old bass so I could use a nice bass cab!!!!:dude :AOK

6. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Member

I wouldn't restore it. Restoring that cabinet would be like refinishing a pre cbs strat because the finish is worn. I would try to remove the paint from the piping, reglue the hanging tolex, and stick a grill cloth on it - maybe logos.

Oh, and wire up some speakers, of course.

7. jmp2204

jmp2204 Supporting Member

restore it to '71 specs, you do nice work!

8. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

you treat objects like women, man.

I love the name Jackie

9. Scumback Speakers

Well, the white piping around the grillcloth is history already (cut off close to the tolex, then painted black or colored in or something silly), so that has to be replaced. All that's left of that is the bead behind it that the staples go through, so that's all there is to that.

However, one of my previous cabs I restored for my own use had that white piping from the 70's and the 9" Marshall logo, so no worries there, I have that covered already with a correct logo and piping. In any case, the absolute minimum will be cloth, piping and logos, in my estimation, so here's what I've done so far...

Baffle board repainted, new speaker screws/T nuts, new logo block cut to the correct size, and drilled for the 9" logo. The best part was that the old logo block was still partially there and the logo pin holes were still there so I was able to trace those exactly on paper, then mark it on the new logo block and drill it out perfectly. Removed the remnants of the old logo block, fit in the new one. A little flat black spray paint, put in the logos, and here's where we're at so far.
    [​IMG]

Now, the back panel will be a PITA... alot of missing tolex, some spray paint already, and a second jack hole drilled (argh!, previous owner was too cheap to buy a Cliff jack? WTF?). I'll need to plug that, thank God it's small, then paint it to match the rest of the back. Now I've got to get out some paint thinner and carefully remove that overspray on the serial # and model # tags without removing their letters/numbers that I want to keep...
    Here's the back panel in it's present shape...not too pretty, huh?
    [​IMG]
    And the serial # & model # plate in it's present condition...
    [​IMG]
    I think it's time to call the guitar tech guru and ask his advice on that paint overspray removal, and put in some new Tnuts and screws for the metal handles, remove the old caster bases, and fit it for some replacement "pop-in" casters.

I'll be back with more pics a little later. If there are any ideas on how I should proceed with removing the paint from the tags without taking out the serial #'s, shoot me an email, OK? Email addy is at the bottom in my sig.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  10. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

Not trying to derail this thread. I say restore that sucka!

Scumbag,

What era do you think my project cab is? A prior owner remembers it 15 years ago and thinks it still had BW cloth (not check) right before it was stripped. Hmmm... However a few clues seem to point to it being a '71-72 cab? Or maybe a late transistional BW? I'll probably restore it to original which was probably check.

OR... Maybe I should just say what the hey and make it a red BW or purple :) ?

http://206.130.108.2/plexiboard/viewtopic.php?t=43317&sid=2f727e727f0fd766a51678eb6455725a

11. Scumback Speakers

Hey GP! How ya doing, buddy? My best guess is that your cab was likely to be a 1971, only because I'm pretty sure that's what this one of mine is, dating it from the DD 14 date codes of the speakers, and that the construction looks pretty similar. Now here's why... It's original rivets were in the metal handles till last night, but there was BW cloth around the baffleboard after I got it out, just like yours. I think you have a "parts cab" because your back panel is the correct 5/8" thick 11 ply like it should be for up till late 69, or someone replaced the panel with the correct plywood...one or the other. The cabs up till early 1970 had the T nuts to hold the metal handles on, or at least the one I just sold from February 1970 did (BC 10 date codes on the G12M T1511 speakers).

So that's my take on your cab, without further info, and going by construction and what you've stated about it.

OK, here's the progress so far on the beater Bass cab... just NOS cloth, and logos added... stop now, or keep going??

[​IMG]

12. murkat

murkat I like sea otters Silver Supporting Member

Looks better than my old white cab ;) I'm getting inspired....

13. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

You gonna sell it or keep it? If sell, stop now, if keep, keep going. BTW, my 70 cab had the riveted in handles-which as far as I could tell I had to remove to replace the grill cloth (gotta restretch that). Anway, how should I reattach the handles? Drill where the rivets were and use T-nuts inside and long screws?

14. Scumback Speakers

drbob1, I'm stopping for now. Time to install a quad of old H30's, wire it up, put some casters on it, and give it a good flogging!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  15. Scumback Speakers

Guess the metal handle fasteners were in transition in 70 as well. Factory T-nuts were on my Feb, 70 model slant. This April, 71 cab has rivets. Switched over somewhere in between, I guess...

Use phillips head10/32 machine screws, pan head style screw, 1" long, with matching 10/32 (5/16) T nuts. Drill out the rivet holes slightly to fit the T nuts and you're good to go.

16. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

I think your cab is looking nice, and has a vibe as well. Good job.

Does this "Bass" cab have plastic caster cups?

What is the latest cab you've seen with a basketweave grill?

17. Scumback Speakers

GP, the latest I've seen BW cloth on a cab was late 71, perhaps early 72. A client has an August 71 cab with BW cloth, riveted in metal handles, pop in casters 100 logo.

The "Bass" cab does have plastic caster cups. It's also the tightest fitting baffle board I've ever installed or took out. I had to tap in the last two inches with a hammer before I could put the screws back in, and that fit has made it the tightest cloth recover I've ever done. Sounds like it's tuned to low C right now, it's that tight.

The caster bases are really being a pain (screw in type) and I'll need my amp tech's help to get them out to put in replacements. The screws are drilled out but I'll be darned if the bases are coming out. Even with two flat tip screwdrivers they're not prying out and I don't want to stress the wood, so I may have to chisel or file them out...fun, eh? LOL

But it does have a good vibe to it, and it's back panel fits tight as a drum, too. I'm putting in four T1281's today, and using it at the local blues jam tonight...just to scare people.

Buahahahahahha!

18. vanborgen

vanborgen Member

I think I'd go for the full restore. Seems like you have all the correct materials to do it right, so why not? That way, you cab beat it up all over again!!

19. Scumback Speakers

If you knew the amount of time, pain, trouble and attention to detail taking off the old tolex, sanding it out, filling the nicks and dents and all that took, you'd pause for thought...that's what I'm doing right now, pausing! LOL

At this point it's solid enough to test and make sure there are no other issues, such as rattles, vibrational noise, etc. As solid as it sounds right now, without putting in four good speakers and running 50-60 watts through it, you'll never know if it's worth doing the rest of the restoration. I've done it before, though, and they do come out nice...just want to make sure this one qualifies for the full treatment. Here's a previous effort (sans logos and casters) I completed last year, and subsequently sold to a new owner He promptly sold his 68 BW cab for $4000 after buying this one from me for half of that.
    [​IMG]
    http://southbayampworks.com/71straightr/DSCN4052.jpg
    http://southbayampworks.com/71straightr/DSCN4053.jpg
    http://southbayampworks.com/71straightr/DSCN4083.jpg

20. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

Aaah, what's a coupla new sanding belts ? 3 bucks ??? (runnin' & duckin') :p :D