1971 Marshall JMP vs Kemper vs Axe-FX II vs Bias Head

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by ColdFrixion, Nov 3, 2016.

Which modeler sounded closest to the actual amp?

1. Kemper

33 vote(s)
    80.5%
  2. Axe-FX II

6 vote(s)
    14.6%
  3. Bias Head

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

Comparison by Choptones:

(Fast forward to 2:20 to hear the isolated guitar tracks)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
    Progbusters, Dynation, brk303 and 2 others like this.
  2. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

Couldn't make it through the video as the drums were waaaaaaaaaaaaay too loud to be able to hear things properly.

Bummer.

Matticus and nicolasrivera like this.
  3. wpawley

wpawley Member

Out of the 3, the Kemper sounds the closest to me. That surprised me also because I have heard some AxeFX II's that matched a whole lot better than what was in your video. The Bias, too Bass'y. An 11R would give any of them a run for the money just on tone (not effects, even though some of it's effects are top notch).

4. MixMinisterMike

MixMinisterMike Supporting Member

The whole second half was isolated guitar tracks.

RolandKorg and TimeSnow like this.
  5. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

Hmmm. . . I may try again. . .

****ing loud ass snare drums are a major turn off for me. . . .

6. wedewer

wedewer Supporting Member

The Kemper was defintely the closest in this video. I know, I own a kemper, so I must be biased. Any chance the profile of that amp will be available?

7. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

Kemper for sure. Echoing what @wpawley said, the Axe FX can get closer with more tweaking. Axe-FX has this unique low mid that you have to take out. This is why I like the Kemper overall for this kind of stuff. I find it more intuitive and quicker to get the sound you want. Just my two cents.

Nice demo. Thanks for taking the time to make the video.

8. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Member

Besides that the level between units is not equal, at least thats what im hearing on my end.

TimeSnow likes this.
  9. jageya

jageya Member

kemper...but wherre is the helix

Phnurt and strangec like this.
  10. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

After lining the isolated guitar tracks up in my DAW and level matching, the Kemper sounded the closest to my ears. Unfortunately, I'd rank the Axe last.

jawgee likes this.
  11. vintagelove

vintagelove Member

The kemper was the only one even close, and it wasn't near as close as other a/b's I've heard. I greatly prefer the amp in the clips. It would be easy to say "oh look, proof the real thing sounds better", but honestly, as a "tube snob", I have heard more convincing samples.

That being said I appreciate the guy took the time to make and post the video.

12. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

Do you think you'd be able to identify the Kemper from the amp in a blind test?

13. vintagelove

vintagelove Member

First off, I didn't level match the clips, which as I'm sure you know even a very small difference can skew the whole test (and would go to my point about the test being less than "definitive").

That being said, seems to my ear to be more 8-12k or so on the real clip. Also, something i have noticed in the kemper clips in general (when a/b with the amp), is a bit of an artificial limited dynamic range. Now that doesn't mean it sucks, it is just different from the amp. The difference is akin to a transparent compressor put on the track (like in a mix), very lightly.

Again, I would be the first to admit, those results could easily be caused by a difference in level.

KSL likes this.
  14. Deuterium

Deuterium Member

I literally could not tell an iota of difference between the reference (original) amp, and the Kemper. The BIAS was the least convincing, with the Axe FX more convincing, but still nowhere close to the fidelity and one-to-one correspondence of the original amp compared with the KPA profile...IMHO.

15. mattball826

mattball826 Member

Bias was off, really bassy, but brite level was close.

Axe FX had it's usual sig mid bass meh you have to dial out and use multiple peq etc, not very brite

KPA was closest of all but lacking some thump.

DieSchmalle likes this.
  16. Choptones

Choptones Member

Hi guys! Thanks for sharing!

Sorry if someone didn't like the mix, we're working on more comparisons with different amps and hope to like to you :)

Probably the exact tone could be reached without any matching but just with hours of programming and fine tuning. Our aim was: could other "matching machines" reach a good result in the same time we make a profile?

Helix isn't in this comparison cause it doesn't have natively matching capabilities, but the idea is to make it also involved in.

Thanks for your kind words, a like/subscription our our pages will be more than appreciated and could support us!

17. Opzouten

Opzouten Member

In the isolated tracks Kemper sounded closest, but in the mix I preferred the AxeFx.

I like the mix btw, but not a low volume, so you just have to crank it up :)

18. Jchrisf

Jchrisf Member

I thought the Bias Head got 2nd place ahead of the Axe FX. Kemper sounded the closet to me

19. Morphosis

Morphosis Member

Did such comparisons long time ago for myself, and that`s what i get out:

Order: Axe-Fx II (FW13 or so) - Kemper Profiler ( FW 2.X) - Reference Amp (Koch Studiotone Tube Amp)

Note, that the Axe-Fx has no Koch Studiotone model. So i took the Brit800, if i remember correctly and tweak the non-linear events (gain) by ear.
    At the end: You can get great results with both machines. Not true 100% close, but extremely satisfying close. Maybe 95% to give a quote!?

I think, you can come much closer with the Axe-Fx, when tonematching ( = EQ match, BIAS call it Amp match) better:
    First, do a Dual FFT live tonematch with pink noise (maximal average 5 seconds or so) or even better sine sweep (average time = infinite) Synth Block Voice 3 is your friend (Voice 3 = only one with with 20Hz - 20kHz capabilities). Secondly, equal gain staging to the reference, do minor changes in the speaker tab, if needed. Thirdly, repeat the tonematch, to get equal again after changes in the non-linearity department of the Axe-Fx Amp-Block.

The soundcloud Test was based on a Koch studiotone Tube Amp as Reference long time ago. Axe-Fx II was on FW 13 or so, Kemper was on FW 2.X.

When audition, you`ll hear a lacking in the bass department of the Kemper. I could not get rid of it. Repeated the profiling a dozen times, refine it ... no chance. Hopefully, they have fix that in newer Firmwares in the meantime?!?

20. barhrecords

barhrecords Member

What block chain do you recommend and PEQ settings?