• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

1971 Velazquez

riffmeister

Thanks guys! Yes, this guitar is a real keeper. It's got a fair amount of wear from the previous owner(s) but oh can this bird sing!

riffmeister

Did you find this at The Classical Guitar Store?
This one lived on the West Coast for many years, apparently, and was sold on consignment at GSI in Santa Monica, CA.

Interestingly, though, the Classical Guitar Store in Philly had one just like it, also a '71, listed for a while! I believe the owner had second thoughts and the guitar is no longer listed there.

pima1234

Well, it's a great find.

Very nice.

I'm hoping to have another custom classical built in the next year or so.

riffmeister

I'm hoping to have another custom classical built in the next year or so.
Any idea what the design will be for the new guitar? Modern? Traditional? I tend toward the traditional side of the tracks. I have this neato 1971 Paulino Bernabe, fab condition, but it does need some work to set the intonation.

Last edited:

reentune

Silver Supporting Member
I recently went pretty modern with two Millennium replicas from Rodrigo Moreira.
Notice the tapered body which results in the elevated fret board.
I did some brilliant trading to get into these.
Still, I don't have anything like a Velasquez or a Ruck. These will have to do till I get one.

Oh, and let me not forget to tip my hat to Federico Sheppard's sicko 7-string—what a raw, huge-sounding guitar this is:

I'd probably trade them all to get one of riffmeister's!

pima1234

Something based on the design of my current concert guitar made by William Henderson (Baltimore area).

But, I really need an acoustic/electric one. And... I'm curious to see if a design like this one would work:

I love Chris's work, and the ergonomic design is something I'd like to try. So basically, a non-headless, ergonomic, nylon string acoustic electric guitar. And possibly with a non-traditional neck, so I could play jazz on it. Something similar to Jim Soloway's fingerstyle neck design.

I have small hands. So for me to wrap my thumb around is not easy. And, I sometimes need to be able to do that at the 12th fret or higher.

Any idea what the design will be for the new guitar?

mcmurray

Been checking out your tracks on soundclick Riffmeister. Inspiring stuff, keep up the good work.

btw that Zoom recorder sounds great, think I might get one for classical guitar recording.

riffmeister

Been checking out your tracks on soundclick Riffmeister. Inspiring stuff, keep up the good work.

btw that Zoom recorder sounds great, think I might get one for classical guitar recording.
Thanks very much for your feedback!

The Zoom is super easy to use. Like a point-n-shoot camera.

riffmeister

Cool guitar, 1971 Manuel Velazquez. German spruce top with bear claw, nifty Pau Ferro back/sides.

I've had it for a couple years, finally got around to recording with it. Post-holidays Zoom H4n present.....the little unit works pretty darn well using the internal XY stereo microphones!

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12665699

Necro Bump!

Same guitar, new song, a short sketch called "Arpeggio Sketch in D Major". Kind of a celtic drone feel to it, nothing too terribly taxing. :)

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13295912

Trending Topics

Top Bottom