1972 Ampeg Svt Head

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Jimi Ray, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Jimi Ray

Jimi Ray Member

A guy I know recently had his dad come buy and I noticed he had an old beat to hell Ampeg SVT speaker cabinet in the back of his van. I asked him about it and he said his son was storing it at his garage and he also had the head too. I talked to his son and he said he used to play bass thru it back in the seventies. But now he has no use for it. Its been in storage for at least 15 years. He very recently hooked it up to the speaker cabinet and turned it on he said he heard a bit of hum and then started to see some smoke and immediately turned it off. He is going to drop it off soon for me to take a look at it. What would be your first inclinations as to the smoke source, Dead mouse?, dried up old caps? Whats your thoughts??

2. goneracin

goneracin Member

I would probably guess A) dried up old caps, followed by B) dried up old mouse..:D
    Most likely the caps freaked out from the long storage period followed by the shock back into action. Id check that first.

3. Jimi Ray

Jimi Ray Member

Thanks for your input Bob, I've heard very good feedback about your amps just very recently. I'm headed to your website now to get the skinny.
    Regards, Jim.

4. Jimi Ray

Jimi Ray Member

5. Jimi Ray

Jimi Ray Member

The guy dropped off the head, I pulled the rear vent panel. The cooling fan ribs were broken and the fan was deadended against the grille. I unplugged it and plugged in my Teli and it has some intermitant fizz and crackle. But it sound great! I've never played an amp so freakin loud. You can't turn it past 3 or your ears will hurt. Lots of tonal choices with all those ohh/ahh voicing switchs. Any idea's where I could find an original " Whisper fan"?