1972 Marshall 50 Watt

Mark Ray

The RockTrain
Platinum Supporting Member
This amp belonged to a dear friend who passed from cancer several years ago. His widow is now at the point of selling his gear. She doesn't really need the money, it's just taken this long to feel like it was time. I don't know all the ins and outs of these amps. What I can tell you is that this head is in pristine condition to be 49 years old. I'm going to go over and play through it for a while to make sure everything is working. Her son is going to take some pics with the back cover off. To my knowledge it is 100% stock. I'll have to wait and see what tubes are in it. As far as transformers and such, I'll need some verification from somebody, that's where you guys come in. Anyway, here are the pics that I have so far:

rockinrobby

Senior member Professional musician ...
Double Platinum Member
Is the cabinet part of the deal? Looks like JBL’s , kinda a Dicky Betts setup.
Good luck on this amp.. The cabinet is not a Marshall..

Mark Ray

The RockTrain
Platinum Supporting Member
Is the cabinet part of the deal? Looks like JBL’s , kinda a Dicky Betts setup.
Good luck on this amp.. The cabinet is not a Marshall..
Yeah, the cabinet is a home brew he built. This is just about the head.

JeffHaddad

Silver Supporting Member
That looks pristine! I have an early '73 that sounds stellar, this should sound as good.

Geetarpicker

Be careful with the 3 switch Marshalls of that era as they typically have 2 prong AC cords. You can get shocked if not careful! That said one way to set a polarity switch is to plug in a guitar cable and let it dangle without hooking up a guitar. Then turn up the amp volume a little and listen for any hum, then switch the polarity switch and find the position (up or down) that nets you the least hum. That will typically net you a safer setting.

Jeff Gehring

Gold Supporting Member
So nice! Man, that is just like the 1987 I had back in the early 70's. I would love to be able to play one of those one more time...

deepcove17

Beautiful amp....sooooooo much better condition than my 1971 50 watt. Curious to find out what it has for glass inside...

56Tweed

Ge Fuzz-o-holic
Gold Supporting Member
Be careful with the 3 switch Marshalls of that era as they typically have 2 prong AC cords. You can get shocked if not careful! That said one way to set a polarity switch is to plug in a guitar cable and let it dangle without hooking up a guitar. Then turn up the amp volume a little and listen for any hum, then switch the polarity switch and find the position (up or down) that nets you the least hum. That will typically net you a safer setting.
Yep, shows the 2-prong cord in the pic. That should be changed.

The gut shots will tell the real story. Original transformers are a bit part of determining value. Classic amp though. I have a '76 that is a lot of fun to play when I can open it up.

pepedede

Are you thinking of buying it, or helping sell it on?.

I'd want to own it personally, especially with the history.

Dr.Twang!

Wrangler, twangler, participle dangler
Gold Supporting Member
That is an early 1972 model 1987. I’ll bet Rosemary signed off on the QC chart inside.
Chassis inside shots a must, not just back panel off. Use care when removing and lift chassis slightly before sliding out of head shell to protect face plate from catching on shielding.
AC switch has been changed out, no other obvious modifications.
Power cord replacement/upgrade to 3 prong is not a big deal, I have several original JMPs from that era.
Great external condition.

Last edited:

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
The switches stick out and are likely to break from contact during transport.

sonhenry

Yeah, second the power chord replacement, necessary but it's not a big deal at all. It might need a little TLC like any other amp of that age that's been sitting, but totally worth it, those are such great amps. Worth keeping around if you can with a friend-connection to it...