1972 Pulsonic G12M vs. 1974 RIC G12M Vintage Celestion Speakers (clips)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JubileeMan 2555, Feb 29, 2012.

1. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Ok,

So I own a 1974 Marshall cab picked up from a great forum member here. I loved the sound right away. The vintage celestions inside just sounded smooth and awesome.

But, because I always love to experiment, I searched eBay on my spare time just to see if I could find different vintage G12Ms I can compare and such.

I found a pulsonic coned 1972 G12M for $100 on eBay! Can you believe it?! I figured something had to be wrong.

Well, turns out it sounds fantastic. I can really hear some qualities that why they are more desireable then the post-pulsonic era.

The Creamback 1974 speaker MAY be an RIC cone... I'm not sure. Its in a cab that has RIC codes on 2 but this one did not have any codes. My guess its its RIC. SM57 Mic was placed straight on pointing at the edge of dustcap on both

1972 Pulsonic Clean

1974 RIC Clean

1972 Pulsonic Dirty

1974 RIC Dirty

Both really do have their qualities. I like both! But the Pulsonic DOES seem to have a bit of sweeter sound with deeper lows and higher highs.

• Strat with rocketfires
    • Elmo Overdrive (for dirty)
    • Marshall JTM45/100 Build

(Sorry about the buzz... My poor recording is now relegated to MOUSE FART VOLUMES and that buzz was coming from somewhere in the house... oh well)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  2. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

Dude!! that sounds awesome. You really did a killer Job! i love both! i do like that scooped pulsonic a bit more. at least i hear it like that
    great playing and it really sounds like a real recording not just a crappy clip.
    cool!

3. Nick Sorenson

Nick Sorenson Rocketfire Guitars

Pretty Amazing the differences! both clean and overdriven. I think the Pulsonic sounds a lot more of what I think of with that speaker's signature tones. Great demo!

4. Luke Gibson

Luke Gibson Silver Supporting Member

Killer Strat tone and playing, Great Job! I thought the Pulsonic had the upper hand.

5. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Thanks, though I'm sure some may not be exactly pleased with the random noodling.

I make A/B clips like these all the time. Really helps to be able to listen to gear comparisons a day or so after the change to really evaluate the real sound. Sometimes, the brand new thing will sound better just because its different, but a recording like this can allow me to listen to it fresh later to really determine which one I like most. Its a good way to be sure I move in the proper direction with gear vs. just assuming something is good because others liked it in their rig.

Its another reason I think more players should setup at least a simple recording setup at home to give them a better perspective on what gear sounds good/better/best.

6. GearHeadFred

GearHeadFred Member

Good stuff Tyler! This kind of stuff makes reading TGP a joy. Thanks for taking the time to share.

7. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

:aok

8. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

9. sulrichs

sulrichs Member

The Pulsonic cones have a bit more presence and papery bite to my ears, with clarity that I don't hear in the cream backs....thanks for posting....cool comparison.

10. bowlingballbaby

bowlingballbaby Member

Hey Jubilee Man,

You really seem to know your stuff! So ... riddle me this. I have an early 70's 1935 cabinet with Greenbacks. G12M's, 25 watts, 16 ohms, bass response 75 hz. Hmmm...wouldn't a bass cab have speakers with a bass response of 55 hz?

Further, the frames are stamped 1511, which I think also points to bass speakers, as do the Pulsonic ink stamp codes (102 014).

Can you clarify anything here? It's a bass cab, but the speakers seem to have some lead features and some bass features. Or not? I think you are the expert? Me...I'm just a guy cranking an old Marshall.

Thanks

11. Tommy_G

Tommy_G Member

70's tones through 2012 recording technology = awesomeness.

12. huskerjohn

huskerjohn Member

It's posts like this that makes TGP such a great place to visit. Thank you for posting this, I learned a lot!

I love your selection of tunes! :dude

13. telewacker

telewacker Supporting Member

Sounds like they put the wrong labels on. The 014 cones are 55hz Pulsonic.

14. Oatie

Oatie Member

I have quite a few Marshalls, but the combo that I love the most is my 1972 50 watt Model 1987 Lead and the 1972 Cab with the Pulsonic cones. When they start to sing they almost sound like a Leslie on a very slow speed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a 1966 G12 Greenback w/the Polsonic codes from 1966

[​IMG]

15. Ivan74

Ivan74 Member

hi, and what about 14 (w/o the 0)?
    '73 T1511s greenbacks of mine (date code EF) have 102/14 cones. Are them "pulsonic"?
    what does pulsonic stay for, and how to recognize a pulsonic one from a non-pulsonic one? thanks

16. Oatie

Oatie Member

the book, the history of marshall has more info about the cones, i only know the 003 and the /3 cones as being the pulsonic type.

my 1972 cab sounds better than my 68, 69, 70 cabs, I got so lucky to find a 1972 cab and head that had little to no play-time on them. My Lead Cab was only used for the 50 watt head and never had a 100 watt head connected to it. So the cab was not
    ever pushed or overheated.

A Quick & Easy way to Port a Sealed Marshall Cab:

Many of the old Lead guitar players would use a 3/8" or 1/2" hole-saw and drill a small port-hole in the top of the plastic handle(s) on each side so the cab could breath a little and release some of the back-pressure. On ther metal handle (pre 1970 or so) they would drill a 1/4" hole in each handle for a small dual-port system.
    When the amps are cranked-up and pushing air you can feel the small puffs of air come out when you hold your finger in front of the drilled holes in the handles. Most guys put the holes at the top of the handles so the water will not enter from a rain storm etc. A 1/4" hole is all you really need, as long as the air can escape.

Another guys trick was to install small washers behind the flange on all 6 screws, so the handle allowed the air to breath due to the small 1/8" space the washers would make when the handles were not sealed tight on the cab.

It was a much better idea than some people who simply drilled a single 1" hole in the back panel. That kinda butchered a nice vintage cab.

17. Ivan74

Ivan74 Member

why? does cab need to breath? i didnt know nothing about the cab needs to breath and release back-pressure