1972 Twin questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DBBlues, May 28, 2008.

1. DBBlues

DBBlues Formerly fullertone Silver Supporting Member

Sorry if this information has been covered before, but I searched TGP and didn't find it (I did see this related and interesting thread: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=344409).

I have a 1972 Fender Twin. I dated it based on this article from Greg Gagliano:
    http://www.tcguitar.com/articles/gagliano_pt5.html.

I should say that it is not stock. It was modded long ago to have a single (now vintage) JBL 15.

Anyway, it does not have the master volume push-pull knob. It is my understanding that some (I'm guessing late) 1972's had that circuitry, but that it is considered to have been introduced in 1973. It sounds like most players consider the amp to be better with the older circuitry.

A store manager that had another 72 for sale told me that those without the push-pull knob had the "blackface" circuitry, but in reading about it, that looks like it is not correct, although the pre-73 circuitry sounds closer to blackface specs, and easier to get closer to that.

My questions are:
    1. Are my facts reasonably straight?
    2. Is a '72 Twin without the push-pull worth more than one with it (not that I have any intention of selling this amp)?
    3. Do you agree with the suggestion that I keep the single 15 since it is a "classic hot rod" set-up, like a '57 Chevy with a later 350 small block? I know that the answer depends on my use of the amp.

The story of this amp was that I bought it in '98, '99 or 2000 from a yard sale (driving by in the early afternoon, saw the Fender script in the open garage). The woman who sold it to me was the niece of the guy who had owned it -- she implied that he had died. She told me that he was a country player.

2. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

1. Yes.
    2. Yes.
    3. No. Not for resale value.

3. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Your facts are straight enough. As to speaker format ... the 1x15 would be my preference. It's a matter of taste. It would take a new baffle and speakers to make it as it came stock. I would only due it if 2x12 was the sound I really wanted. BTW: that's basically the vibrosonic right there, twin amp chassis with a 1x15. Lots of steelers swear by it.

4. J Purcell

J Purcell Member

How do you like the sound of your Twin with the 15" JBL?
    I've got a '70 TR with factory JBL's but I've been thinking about getting a new baffle made and switching to a 15" JBL.
    I've got a D130F that I'm not using right now.

5. DBBlues

J --
    I love my Twin the way it is, but I haven't compared it with a stock setup, so I feel that I can't help you in terms of your decision.
    Although it is easy for me to feel okay in keeping mine "hot rodded," it would be a much harder decision for me to take one that is closer to stock and hot rod it now.
    By all rights, I should sell you mine (since it is a bigger amp than I need for my actual uses these days), and you could have both without altering either, but I can't let go of it!
    Adam's post above is notable -- the amp is probably worth more with the 12's, but that doesn't answer your question, since I'm reading between the lines that you just care about whether you like the sound better.

6. DBBlues

Last night, in the middle of the night, I awoke having figured out that I must have bought the Twin in '99 ... so it will have been mine ten years next year. The west (Kona) side of this island has changed so much in ten years. I actually looked at this amp, went to the music store, asked them about it, and went back and bought it. You could not do that now, probably just in terms of traffic ...
    The Big Island is still one of the least developed islands in Hawaii, but Kona was discovered somewhere between 2000-2005. We were on Oprah, Donald Trump mentioned us on TV, Dell has a house here, Gates has land ... it was actually pretty sleepy over here before all of the hubbub.

7. jay42

jay42 Member

It seems like Fender made that amp...Vibrosonic or something similar. I remember a Rhodes player using one.

Is this 15" a 4 ohm speaker? You lose some power with the mismatch.

8. mj07

mj07 Supporting Member

There's a great deal on a sf vibrosonic on the bay right now.Does not appear to have the jbl, but these are great amps. I have one myself. Sounds just like a Twin with a 15. Best cleans ever IMO.

9. J Purcell

J Purcell Member

The D130F I have is a 4 ohm speaker. I love the sound of mine with 2-12" JBL's but it's getting harder and harder to pick up.:p