1973 Guild Bluesbird--Legit?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by stamper, Jan 21, 2015.

1. stamper

stamper Member

2. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Silver Supporting Member

Looks alright except for one replaced bridge saddle. Just mind the description: "Action is at a medium height and the bridge is all the way down so this one is not for shredders."

3. 73Fender

73Fender Member

I had one in high school around 73 or so..bought at Sam Goodys, a wine red finish. All I remember is the gaps around the fret board inlays were big enough to get a guitar pick in. FWIW, probably not much

4. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Cant speak of that specific guitar but as was said before a bridge lowered all the way and still high action could be a sign of other issues. I bought an Amazing PBG Gustavsson from the Seller and they were great to deal with.

5. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

That is one of the Guilds built by DeArmond just before they started labeling them as DeArmond. Some people like them... so I'm not saying it's bad. But not long ago they (DeArmond) were selling for like $350. The diagonal stop bar is the give away. The "real" Guild will have a harp tailpiece.
    Real Bluesbirds were hollowbody guitars with no F holes. Amazingly light. Fairly woody sounding until you plugged into the Marshall stack!
    You could save a bunch if you want a solid body by buying the DeArmond labeled one.
    I think even the later Guilds (late 90's) when Fender owned them are less than that one. Some great guitars too.

6. nmiller

No, you're about 20 years off. This one is from 1973, based on the serial; the solidbody M-75 was discontinued in the late '70s, and the DeArmond name wasn't put on guitars until the 1990s.

7. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

Um...no it isn't.

8. Dirtystranger

Dirtystranger Supporting Member

I just picked one of these up in trade. The guitar been refinished, but looks good. Needed a new nut. I swapped out the ceramic tone caps for OIP caps. I love the fretboard and the pickups are heavenly sweet! Slim neck plays easy as pie. The new ones cannot sound like this. The master volume is weird, but useful. The ability to split phase is wonderful for us Peter Green worshipped $1395 is actually on the low side if it's all there. I love the bluesbird.

9. Zuhzuhzombie!!

Zuhzuhzombie!! Member

I don't know of any Bluesbirds that no one wants to play.

10. Jimmy MAck

Jimmy MAck Member

The guitar in the photos has many markers pointing to a '70's model.

11. crimson on pink

crimson on pink Supporting Member

If it plays half as well as my '73, it's a no brainer. Been my number one for years. If I got into an accident amd could never play again, I still wouldn't sell it.

12. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Yes, I stand corrected. After doing some research I realize that Guild actually did use the diagonal stop bar for a while when they went to solidbody construction... even though DeArmond used it some later also. I also learned that DeArmond did use the Guild "Harp" tailpiece some also. So it's confusing. I've had 4 blues birds over the years but never realized that.

13. stamper

stamper Member

Thanks for all the replies. The seller is located in Chicago, so I just headed over to their shop and bought the guitar in person. I don't have one ounce of regret, and I think i ended up getting a pretty good deal fwiw.

I do think the guitar may have been painted, however. I can't tell, but it seems like it may have been... Especially the way the paint is chipping off the neck.

http://imgur.com/a/2ExMk

Can anyone confirm that this is a sign of a refinish?

14. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Wow, that's pretty thick finish. Seems a bit weird but not sure it indicates refin...?

15. nmiller

The finish on my '72 Bluesbird has a couple of flakes like that. It looks odd, but I think your guitar's finish hasn't been tampered with.

16. PaulLamb83

PaulLamb83 Member

Hi Guys, there seems to be some knowledge folks on this thread and I was wondering if you guys could help me with the same question?
    I have the opportunity to buy a 1973 Bluesbird from my local craigslist for $1750. Wondering if this sounds like it's in the ball park and more importantly if these pics look legit? Here is the link to the add ---- https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/msg/d/guild-bluesbird-very-old-1973/6642783612.html thanks for any help!

17. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

It's on Reverb too. I personally wouldn't pay anywhere near that for that guitar. No case. Two pics and one of them is of the headstock that looks trashed. I'd bet the rest of it is in bad shape too.