1973 Marshall 100 watt head, "Rosemary" - what's it worth?

GAT

Platinum Supporting Member
I've been looking for a nice 50 watt Marshall head for awhile and still can't find one that isn't all beat up, etc.

I found a 100 watter, 1973, all original trannys (I think), super clean with no mods. The tag has Rosemary on it. Not sure I want a 100 watter, but my Aracom can tame it.

What is an appropriate value for one? Also, I love 50 watters, never owned a 100 watter, but I have played them (without attenuation) years ago and they are freakin' loud. What are your thoughts on the 100 watt versions.

Thanks!

michael.e

Silver Supporting Member
Hey Gil!
They sound great for sure, but it is a very different sound than the 50. Even taming it is not going to get you to that 50 watt sound/feel. I personally love the 100 watters, but my 50 watters always sounded sweeter.
I picked up a near mint '75 Superbass for 1,500. A very clean ptp Superlead-$1,800 or so.

GAT

He's asking $2,250.00. Not sure if it has 6550 tubes, probably. I tend to like the 50 watt sweetness.

Thanks!!

Echoplexi

Gold Supporting Member
He's asking $2,250.00. Not sure if it has 6550 tubes, probably. I tend to like the 50 watt sweetness. Thanks!!
A 73' should have 4 el34s. I don't think that price is outrageous for a clean unmodded ptp super lead. I've had 100 watt super bass' and 50 watt leads. I prefer 50 watt tone myself but if I had a good attenuator like you do it wouldn't be a big deal.

michael patrick

Loud and proud
Silver Supporting Member
He's asking $2,250.00. Not sure if it has 6550 tubes, probably. I tend to like the 50 watt sweetness.

Thanks!!
A '73 should have EL34s. Not only is that what it would have originally shipped with, that's the sound you want. Or at least that I'd want.

AndreasG

73 is also the first year for PCB board...they sound great nontheless, but might have an impact in value because some "experts" always state the PTP are superior. I have a late 73 50 W head (pcb) that sounds great, but I prefer the 74 Super PA wih 2 tubes. Sounds more robust.
Fwiw...I heard Greg Martins and David Grissoms 50 watters from 73 are both PCB versions....
2250 seems a bit high IMO. More like 1800-2000 with EL34's. But if it sounds great 250$ are easily forgotten.

amphog

The 100 is a great clean amp, painful at breakup. Like any amp play before you buy, they vary a lot, amp to amp, old does not = good all the time.

miamimart

Do like Greg Martin does (and I do) pull two tubes & set the impedance one click lower. Great amps & you can't beat big iron.

AndreasG

Do like Greg Martin does (and I do) pull two tubes & set the impedance one click lower. Great amps & you can't beat big iron.
+ 1. Having both the 100 sounds just bigger. But the 50 has it's great sounds too....think Jeff Beck, Duane Allman, David Grissom.....
Get the 100 and search for a 50 watter :)

mscotts

What?!
Gold Supporting Member
If you use pedals a 100 watter is a superb pedal platform-
The bigger iron adds girth even when choked down a bit.

GAT

Well, looks like he sold it. Oh well, I really want another 50 watter. I have a 50 watt '75 JMP that I don't want to take out of the house these days.

michael.e

Silver Supporting Member
Gil and I both had a really great sounding '72 jmp 50 thT had a Carlsboro PT in it. I still miss that one.

Britishampfan

To me 100 watters sound better than 50 everyday of the week. So yeah I`d be on that especally if you have a really good attenuators.

50 watts just seems to sound thin to me, a good sound yes but thin and then they breakup and become overly distorted and fat. I could`nt negotiate the trade off.

stark

Silver Supporting Member
Just played the 50W Bogner Helios today at the amp show. It gets all those good tones and more.

Dr. Tweedbucket

Deluxe model available !!!11
Bigger iron = better tone IMO. You can always pull two tubes if you think it's going to help. Prices can be all over the map... just depends on originality and condition.