1974 Les Paul 55 reissue (Special)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dosmun, Jul 24, 2008.

1. dosmun

dosmun Member

I found one of these locally. Anyone have any experience with these and know what the going rate is. I actually called Elderly's and checked Ebay but want some other opinions.
    This is exactly what it is
    http://cgi.ebay.com/1974-Gibson-les-Paul-Special-55-Vin...ksid=p3286.m14.l1318

That one went for more than I have been told what they normally go for but I guess anything is worth whatever you can get out of it. I know I can get it at least for $1000 but would like to go at least a couple hundred lower.

Any thoughts?

2. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

From what I've heard- the ones from 74 are supposed to be way better than the ones issued around 78.

3. MrMike

MrMike Member

I saw that one at the shop. (Pawn Shop on M-20, right?) I've never seen that particular configuration before, with the wrap-around tailpiece. The neck feels a lot like my DeLuxe. I really don't know anything about it, but if I had the cash, I'd grab it. He'll come down on the price. (I think he's gonna be stuck with that Austin Strat copy with the Nickelback autographs for quite a while, though!)

4. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Oh man, a wrap bridge LP Special single cut is way high on my "must get" list :D If you can get it for under a grand, grab it! I haven't seen one go under 12-1400 yet on eBay.

5. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

Had a 75 LP special, looked just like the one in the picture, its a good players guitar, it was my favorite guitar for many years, had a refret job that went horribly wrong so I sold it to GC while the frets were in place, its not what I would consider a collectors guitar, mine was a second, though I never figured out why. They are not the most beautiful, however the P-90s sound really nice, never cared for the tone of humbuckers, mine are all split coils, which I prefer over just having straight humbuckers.

blue book lists the price for a very good LP Special 77 as $800, so take that for what its worth, they don't have a price for one in perfect condition.

Personally if I could find one in the $1000 to $1200 that was in good condition I would consider buying it.

As you said the ebay auction guy sold his for $2000, and I am glad he was able to find some one stupid enough to pay that much for it.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  6. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

These were mfg for 1974 - 1981 even mint 98% mint they sell for $800 according to blue book

7. sumlin

sumlin Member

If you can get it for less than $1000 I'll give you $1000 for it.

8. dosmun

dosmun Member

[​IMG]Well I pulled the trigger. They wanted $1300 but I got it for $850 out the door. It plays great, super low action. It is pretty clean for a 34 year old guitar. Everything is original except the tuners. The pots even work great. I was expecting scratchy pots at least but everything works great.

[​IMG]

9. dosmun

dosmun Member

Yep thats the one. Are you from around this area? Maybe I can trade a couple of old Marshalls for that Nickleback guitar :D

10. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

sounds like you got a good fair deal on a great guitar, I enjoyed mine for many years, it was my main guitar.

11. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Same here, I'll lighten your load anytime you're ready :D

Congrats, great guitar, great deal!

12. sumlin

sumlin Member

Likewise. I'll give you your money back and some. That's great.

13. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

14. MrMike

MrMike Member

I live near the mall. I was born here, left for 15 years or so and then moved back. GREAT score on the axe! :AOK I'm shocked he let it go for that price. I'm used to going in there and seeing drastically overpriced plywood garbage.

15. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

That is a really cheap price on that guitar.

And, yes the bridge is non-original. Not a big issue.

16. dosmun

dosmun Member

Thanks for the info on the bridge. After looking at the other in the Ebay auction I do notice mine is different. Mine actually has saddles like a TOM bridge. I may have to track an original down just to have.

17. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

I have 2 '74 Specials and they are outstanding guitars. Good luck finding an all stock one for less than $1500... $850 for that guitar (changed tuners and bridge) is still an unbeatable price.

18. bizzwriter

bizzwriter Member

great deal! you could get $100+ for the case alone on ebay...

19. dosmun

dosmun Member

20. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

Excellent buy!:dude $200 for the case alone easy! You...did...GOOD![​IMG]

Tony