• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

1974 Les Paul Custom "twentieth Anniversary"

Dexter.Sinister

Still breathing
Platinum Supporting Member
Gigged a ‘74 black custom fretless wonder and loved that thing to death. Wouldn’t work for me these days, but ‘79 to ‘82 it was IT.

27sauce

My 74 20th Anny, it had the anniversary 15th fret inlay, but it disappeared when the fingerboard was planed due to humps. Really cool guitar, I can unleash my inner Al DiMeola Elegant Gypsy era licks.
Awesome! Did you put those '75 style knobs on, or are they factory?

Baracus

I have a '73, had it since the early 90's. Had a crack in the neck at some stage before I got it but has been rock solid for 30 odd years.
Also you'll notice a shiny bridge I just put it on recently. It had one of those old Ibanez square ones (from the Artists) that everyone was putting on in the 80's. Big ugly thing.
Also one pot has been replaced. I may soon replace the whole harness to see if it transforms the sound.

Only about 9lbs

bdm

Silver Supporting Member
Just got a ‘73-74 LP Custom. Serial number would seem to indicate ‘74 but the pots date ‘73.

I used to have a beater of a ‘73 that weighed just over 10lbs. I loved the tone and playability of that guitar (it had been re-fretted and had non-original electronics) but it was just a wee bit too heavy for my tastes. After long rehearsals I felt it in my back.

Ended up getting a fairly light white ‘78 Custom to replace it but I’ve still had a whole in my heart for that old black Les Paul Custom.

This one just showed up today and like the OP’s experience it’s not exactly as the original Reverb listing would have one believe. 100% needs new frets to be playable. Not exactly a deal breaker as I was going to have jumbos installed anyway. Also seems to be a bit heavier than the original listing says. I’ll need to pop it up on a scale to find out.

edgewound

Mine is a '78 Custom, black with gold. Had it since new as a high school graduation present from my parents. Current pickups are SD JB bridge, '59 neck.

Weighs 10 pounds. Played it almost every night in clubs for several years. Mahogany body, maple neck, ebony fretboard (duh). Four inch wide leather strap helps distribute the load...and straplocks are a must, as has been mentioned.

Nice find!

SWEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!
I now have 3, 3-pickup guitars (I know....I know....).
My favorite wiring so far is 3 volumes and a master tone.
The switch gives the same settings as a 2-pickup guitar, and the 3rd volume is for the middle pickup, which is available all the time.
Same 4 knobs and switch, 7 combinations.
I'll likely simplify yet with one volume for both pickups and another to bring the middle in and out.
I like a master volume.
Blending is nice, but too fiddly.
When I want to bring the volume up or down, I prefer 1 knob.
DAMN!!! That thing is ****in' HOT!

Think of how that 295 would look black!

Awwww....I was going to post a pic of mine, but can't embed.

Last edited:

DeVilleDude

A band mate in the 80's had one, and he let me play it for several years when we were essentially a southern rock cover band. Weighed a ton, sustained forever, and notes sang like a church choir. I knew little about other LP's at the time, but LOVED that gutar. I'd love to have one in the stable now. Congrats!

Baracus

Nice Black Beauty!

Here's my Norlin. Bought new in 1973. Replaced the original pickups sometime in the early 80's with Dimarzio's. Super Distortion in the bridge. PAF in the neck. I still have the originals.

Did you replace the pots as well?

WornFrets

Silver Supporting Member
How much does yours weigh?
Not sure - don't have a scale - but it is hefty. I use a soft wide Ken Smith strap (probably made for one of his coffee table basses) with it which certainly helps.

Trending Topics