1974 Les Paul Custom

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Steve Gambrell, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Steve Gambrell

Steve Gambrell Member

I've got a shot at a '74 Les Paul Custom---photos look pretty good, except for a couple of finish cracks. Anybody got any good/bad advice or experiences with these? The pictures OOZE mojo!

2. bgwicks

bgwicks Member

Hi,

I have two of them. Both have very nice necks which are slightly thinner than average. I like the feel of the ebony board around this era. Very black and tight. Both guitars are heavy, with a heavy sound.

Neither is as resonant as older Gibson's but that is also caused by the fact they are customs. Quality is fine on both, and the actions are low.

Overall they are best suited to "buckcherry" type music with plenty of power.

3. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I have a '71 and kicks all kinds of butt and sold a '73 this past year that was equally as good. Nothing bad to say at all. These are some serious tone machines. And yes, their necks are thinner than alot of other LPs I've owned or played. They feel fantastic. Here's a warning, though... If the LP Custom you're going to buy has the original frets, they're little tiny flat things that you can barely feel when running your hand up and down the board (yes, the "fretless wonder" term.) They make bending hard, so I got mine replaced right away.

I also have an R8 and these early "crappy" Norlin-era pancake body Les Pauls can hold their own with it, which defies what alot of folks think about body construction and whatever.

Here are some shots of my '71.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. vbjamin

vbjamin Member

WARNING MOJO ALERT, TAKE COVER, HIDE THE WOMEN!

5. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Ha ha ha! You're not kidding man! This guitar freaking rocks in every way possible (playability, tone, and of course MOJO!!!!)

6. Rossl

Rossl Member

Nice guitars, I hate those fretless wonders and I don't care for the weight. I have an early 70's deluxe that is heavy but it sounds VERY good.

Norlins get an undeserved bad rep................IMHO

7. LesPaulMan

LesPaulMan Member

Just love early 70's Norlin Customs. Very tight and punchy sounding.

Still can't believe how much these have gone up in $$ the last few years.

8. zumaboy

zumaboy Member

Not that long ago, the conventional wisdom was that Gibsons from this era were pieces of crap. Now they sell for crazy "vintage" prices. Go figure...

I owned a '75 LP Custom for many years and had a love/hate relationship with it. The tone was pure Lester, but it was one heavy mofo; and yes, it was a "fretless wonder", which drove me crazy. I debated a re-fret, but eventually traded it for my first PRS and haven't looked back... :JAM

9. Lampasas

Lampasas Member

I'd probably advise against buying based on a photo. My stepdad has a '75 Custom that has a weird neck issue: the fingerboard was cut slightly slimmer than the neck, so there are these ridges down both sides where the two meet. Very strange, haven't seen this on any others, my first impulse was to turn it over, look at the headstock, and see if it was marked as a factory 2nd, but it wasn't. It sounds good, though, and isn't unusually heavy.

10. Strat God

Strat God Member

'74 was the last year of the one-peice mahogany necks.
    Also it was the 25th anniversary model that year.
    If it's white - it's the anni model and it's worth 2500-3000 in good condish.
    Buy it.

11. Timmo

Timmo Member

Exactly right.....'last of the mahogany necks' and YES, it makes a huge difference.
    It is however the 20th Anniversary model and in white, they bring a bit more that $3k.
    A nice one will bring you $4500 easy...........
    I LOVE MINE! :AOK

Early Norlin Customs are great guitars.
    I call them "Historic Killers"................
    They are indeed a bit heavy and not the prettiest girl on the block but a good one will kick your ass! :D

12. Steve Gambrell

Steve Gambrell Member

Was the body maple-capped, or solid mahogany?