1974 lespaul custom value

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by joolzriff, Jul 17, 2006.

1. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

a white custom with replacement pickups and nut with coil taps by the volume pots,7/10 condition....what would she be worth today...
    i'm gassing for a PRS you see..
    thanks
    j

2. frankthomson

frankthomson Member

i think it's worth $1000 dollars

i just happen to have $1000 dollars

hmmmm.........

3. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

4. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

same year but no 20th on the 12th fret,mahogany neck not maple.

5. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

6. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

Have you asked the guys at www.lespaulforum.com ?

IIRC the 70s customs are creeping up in value, maybe more like $1500 these days, but check with someone other than me.

I have a 20th Anniversary Custom LP with the 20th Anniversary inlay so I want the prices to keep going up. Mine's a very nice guitar.

:YinYang

7. Junior

Hard to say, as up until about a year ago, positive comments about Norlins weren't well received on the LPF. Since then, there have been several appreciation threads about them and the prices have been going up. How much more they'll go up is anybody's guess, but there's a chance the good ones will pass new Historics in value. They're already closing on the prices of used Historics.

My prediction: if you have a good one, you will sorely regret parting with it someday, maybe some day soon, even before the newness of the PRS wears off.

What kind of pickups are in it, and does it have 500K pots? Which fretwire did they use, and can you see the tenon if you take the neck pup out? One or three piece neck?

8. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

There's a cadre of Norlin lovers there nowadays. The Norlin bashers are still there and they have some very good points, but it doesn't change the fact that a good guitar is a good guitar and many Norlins are good guitars.

I think the original pickups in the early 70s customs are refered to as T-tops. The ones in my 74 are quite nice and they are staying in as long as I own the thing.

;)

9. LesPaulMan

LesPaulMan Member

Any '74 Custom in at least half decent condition is worth $1,500 or more.

Everyone talks about the Historic RI's, which are great, but an early 70's Custom has a defined and focused sound that few other Les Paul's can attain. (Hooray for three piece necks and Pancake body construction).

10. Great King Rat

Great King Rat Member

1974 is a special year since Randy Rhoads custom was from 74. $1800 to $2200 depending on condition.

11. mickcivic

mickcivic Member

I know this thread goes waaaaaaay back...but to the OP: did you by any chance buy this Les Paul from a Guitar Center in Northern California? I traded one exactly as you described to them for another guitar, around 1998 or so. I always kinda wondered what happened to it.

12. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

Just had my 74 standard refreted and it really brought the guitar to life, i was my main one for years till i got an o2 R8, the refret just did amazing things for the tone of the notes