1974 Marshall or Orange

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Crackshot, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Crackshot

Crackshot Member

Id like to know the value on a mint 1974 Marshall JMP 1987 50w head Id also like like to know the value on a mint 1974 Orange OR120.

Also, which amp would you want? Which amp has more of a collectors value?
    Should I just save my pennies for an Earlier Marshall?

2. DeaconBlues

DeaconBlues Member

3. small axe

small axe Member

marshall has more collectors value. how legit is the 74? if you can save for a plexi thats a good way to go as well......

4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

The Orange is likely to cost you a bit more, there's a lot more Marshalls around. I'd guess $1500 for a JMP head? Maybe $2k if it's mint. $1700-2k for a decent Orange, perhaps $2.5k if it's REALLY nice?

They are going to sound completely different from each other. The Orange has an unbalanced PI so there's no real clean tone there once it gets loud. The amount of overall crunch is higher, and the sensitivity to the volume knob is superb. The EQ is slightly different from the Marshall as well. Without a master volume the OR120 is crushingly loud!

A 74 JMP will be PCB based, and fairly high gain as NMV Marshalls go. If you plug into just the low input on the normal channel, you can get a very decent, warm clean sound. Takes pedals like a champ. A 50w Marshall is merely VERY loud.

As to the collector value, who can tell? It's certainly easier to sell a Marshall head, it's almost a commodity. But what the change in value will be over time depends on whether some highly popular guy starts playing Orange and the prices go up irrationally...

5. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

Marshall gets my vote