1974X owners, please chime in...pedal question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rockinlespaul, May 23, 2008.

1. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

My question is, since you gotta crank this bad boy for it to give up the goods, would a overdrive pedal(for cranked sounds at decent volumes)be possibly harmful to the special design speaker these amps have?

I have it on channel one with the volume up about halfway, using a first issue Marshall bluesbreaker pedal(everything on the pedal dimed, except the gain on about 8)and it sounds absolutely fantastic. I just don't want to harm the speaker...

Thanks!

2. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

If I understand your questions correctly...

There should be no way you can hurt or damage the speaker using a OD pedal to get crank tones at lower volumes or even just running pedals for all your drive tones.

Of course we are talking under normal use. If you are simply driving the speaker and amp hard with wild frequencies and really pushing the seal of the speaker, you can pretty much damage any speaker. But by then you should hear some pretty nasty tone and horrible speaker farting and failing. use you hears on this one.

3. kidmandude

kidmandude Supporting Member

No way will you harm your amp, it wll sound great with an od pedal too. have fun!!

I have a 2x12 model 1974, 18-watt combo "clone"

:RoCkIn

4. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

Excellent, thanks guys!

5. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

I run Strats, an SG, a Tele or LP through my Marshall 1974X with either a Fulltone OCD or Zendrive for overdrive. For distortion (AC/DC tones) I love my MI Audio Crunchbox.