1975 Fender Starcaster Toggle switch

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by co-intelpro, Dec 9, 2005.

1. co-intelpro

co-intelpro Member

Ok, here's my problem. The toggle switch in my 1975 Semi-hollow Starcaster broke, and I need a specific toggle switch to replace it. The toggle is a C&K 7211 toggle that has a metal toggle bat.

It does not have a removable tip. It is not a mini toggle. It attaches to the body like any other Gibson toggle, but the contact box (6-contacts) is small like a mini toggle.

I checked out a parts book from the 80's today and the number of the part was:

I really need this part because the contact box has to fit in a shielding can the size of a can of chew. No Gibson toggle will fit in there. Plus, I want to keep it close to original.

I have searched everywhere, including the C&K website, and I can't find one like it! Please help me out!!

UPDATE Here is a pic of a similar toggle switch. However, this one is a two position on/on, whereas the Starcaster is on/on/on. Despite this difference, they look identical (note: this is not a mini-toggle switch. The diameter of cylindrical part is the same as any other Gibson switchcraft toggle. [​IMG][/IMG]

2. co-intelpro

co-intelpro Member

Bump. Any old Fender experts out there?

3. co-intelpro

co-intelpro Member

Sorry for bumping this old thread, but I need this part...

4. co-intelpro

co-intelpro Member

Bump, for update and photo of similar C&K toggle made in the 70's/80's. See initial post.

5. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

That's a bitch, bro' ... I too have a Starcaster and definitely don't look forward to the day I'll (eventually - hopefully never) need spares.
    I had seen someone selling a buncha old Fender spares, but I think it's probably the same website you're mentioning.
    Stupid Q : did you try asking someone who does precision solder jobs (i.e. jewellers, etc)?
    Idea: if you still have the broken off tip you could ask a precision engineer to drill a tiny hole in the broken base and up the switch tip and then insert a very fine "rod" to keep the 2 parts together. Requires major precision mechanical skills. Maybe we have someone here in Switzerland who could do it (we're famous for high-precision luxury watch production).

Good luck, bro'

JJ

6. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

If you can't get it from any of the parts suppliers, try contacting Ernie Ball/MusicMan and ask where they get them from (or even if they'd supply one) - they use exactly this kind of switch in the Axis.

7. co-intelpro

co-intelpro Member

Thanks John...I will do that. I really hope they have the right one. Any idea where to call/email off-hand?