• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

1975 Marshall Bass JMP 4 hole 50 watt...what do you think?

GAT

Platinum Supporting Member
An old friend called me today that he is selling his Marshall JMP bass 50 watter. I'm checking it out tomorrow. He is asking $1500 and said it's all original.

Any thoughts on these? I love my '75 Marshall JMP 50 watter master volume head.

am-audio

75 and 76 are both good years for Marshall that won't break the bank in my experience. Bass heads are fun. Crank the treble and mids, roll the bass off or close to it and add presence to taste. Plug in the bright channel and turn it up. Rock, blues, clean….whatever really if you twist the knobs on the guitar and touch it right.

GAT

YeAh what should I be paying for it?

Last edited:

Hacksaw

Time Warped
I think your pedalboard will grow if owning this amp. Best of fun!

big mike

Cathode biased
Great amps,
Depending on Condition 12-1500 is fairish

It would have to be clean and all original with hopefully some old glass and no issues from sitting.

GAT

I was going to offer $1200 anyway, so I'm in the ballpark.

Especially if it needs a bit of work.

gtone

Good luck getting one for $1K. Not impossible, but not easy, IMO. I sure as hell wouldn't let one of those go at that price unless I was pretty skint or it was a beater...

woof*

Exactly. And there are no techs in Reno so I would have to ship it somewhere.
Carl Popek isn't too far from you in Vegas, I've known him almost 30 years. He's very good, fast too. He works on major peeps, including The Who, Black Keys, and a bunch more. If you need him and can't find his contact info let me know.

tone?

Trust your ears

I went through a few jmp 50's before getting mine.

Not all sound great

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
An old friend called me today that he is selling his Marshall JMP bass 50 watter. I'm checking it out tomorrow. He is asking $1500 and said it's all original.

Any thoughts on these? I love my '75 Marshall JMP 50 watter master volume head.
Those were great amps in their day, but that's a lot of money for a very inflexible amp. I wouldn't do it. Make sure you know what you're getting yourself into.

sickboy79

Those were great amps in their day, but that's a lot of money for a very inflexible amp. I wouldn't do it. Make sure you know what you're getting yourself into.
Curious as to why you think the Marshall Bass circuit is inflexible? I've had quite the opposite experience with my Super Bass. Great cleans, pushed cleans for blues/rockabilly tones, and AMAZING classic rock overdrive. Takes pedals like a champ. Seems versitile in my book. Just trying to understand your perspective.

woof*

Curious as to why you think the Marshall Bass circuit is inflexible? I've had quite the opposite experience with my Super Bass. Great cleans, pushed cleans for blues/rockabilly tones, and AMAZING classic rock overdrive. Takes pedals like a champ. Seems versitile in my book. Just trying to understand your perspective.
A lot of guys like modern tech with multiple channels, master volumes and channel switching.
Personally I don't, I can get a million sounds out of a simple 1959 and don't care for what happens to the tone and harmonics on a modern amp.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom