• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

1975 Marshall Bass JMP 4 hole 50 watt...what do you think?

trailrun100s

I think many amps are only as inflexible as the player who is playing it...

I've found plexi's to be able to solidly cover so many styles...

GAT

Platinum Supporting Member
I only use one channel amps anymore. I've had a ton of amps, but an old Marshall is what I love.

I'm looking at it tomorrow afternoon.

mscotts

What?!
Gold Supporting Member
A good sounding bass circuit is one of the most flexible and
simple amps you can own. Put some choice pedals in front of it
and there's nothing you can't do.

335guy

I had a 50 watt JMP 4 hole model 1986 bass head. It was a great amp. You can jumper the channels to blend them together from more tonal options. $1500 does sound a bit high unless in perfect condition with old glass and recent cap job. I got mine for $800 but that was a few years ago and it needed a bit of work.

Stu Blue

Those were great amps in their day, but that's a lot of money for a very inflexible amp. I wouldn't do it. Make sure you know what you're getting yourself into.
That is just the exact opposite of the truth. Four hole Marshalls can deliver the most convincing tones for rockabilly, country, blues, jazz, anything at all with the word rock in it.

They also reveal that some guys have lousy touch/taste/zero talent....

PS $1500 (£1000UK) is the price even in UK for an mid 70s original Superbass... so many got messed up, kids modding stuff rather than learning it.

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
Curious as to why you think the Marshall Bass circuit is inflexible? I've had quite the opposite experience with my Super Bass. Great cleans, pushed cleans for blues/rockabilly tones, and AMAZING classic rock overdrive. Takes pedals like a champ. Seems versitile in my book. Just trying to understand your perspective.
Single channel, no master volume, no gain control, no effects loop. You dial it in and that's the sound you get. They sound great, but if you need a lot of flexibility on stage, they're very limited compared to what's available now.

Stu Blue

Single channel, no master volume, no gain control, no effects loop. You dial it in and that's the sound you get. They sound great, but if you need a lot of flexibility on stage, they're very limited compared to what's available now.
Tap dancers will never understand NMV amps (unlesss they discover the volume knob on their guitars). Set right you can go from pure modern country tone to Jimi tone by touch alone in the middle of a phrase... try foot-switching that.....

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
Tap dancers will never understand NMV amps (unlesss they discover the volume knob on their guitars). Set right you can go from pure modern country tone to Jimi tone by touch alone in the middle of a phrase... try foot-switching that.....
I played a Super Lead for 15 years. I understand 4 hole Marshalls just fine. Great as it sounded, I'd never go back to that style amp. Pretending that they're as versatile as a modern, full-featured amp is nonsensical.

Rob s

I have a 75 superbass that is a rock n roll machine.
And love the cleans.
Cant say a single bad thing about it.
Sounds all marshall.

BADHAK

^^^^^^Man,that is some of the best tone ive ever heard...great playing and riffs too.
Any info on your gear used,settings,how loud etc would be appreciated .

Fulldrive-1

Oh yeah.

The Master covered everything he needed with Plexis and a Fuzz Face, and the volume control on his guitar. Listen to the cadenza after Purple Haze from Woodstock: he goes from all-out to slightly distorted with the Face, and from uber-clean to breaking up with just the Marshalls.

Stu Blue

The multichannel amps + pedals boards used by cover bands just perpetuate misconceptions about how much dirt/gain there was on that classic rock track.

It's a good rule of thumb to assume there is actually half the gain your memory tells you... close study almost always shocks you with how "relatively clean" famous powerful guitar tracks are.

A friend of mine owns one of Jimi amps (from the road crew) and we let a kid at a jam the friend ran use my '65 strat and Fuzz Face and Vox Wha.. the kid complained we hadn't given him enough gain for a true Hendrix tone....

.... the need for multi channels is much exagerated. Two is enough.. one plexi and a good dirt pedal usually sounds better.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
They are cool sounding amps Gat... Enjoy... Should pay around $1200 for one that's clean with no funny mods

michael patrick

Loud and proud
Silver Supporting Member
^^^^^^Man,that is some of the best tone ive ever heard...great playing and riffs too.
Any info on your gear used,settings,how loud etc would be appreciated .
Those are some killer tones!!!
Thanks for the props. :eek:

The head was the aforementioned '72 50-watter, plugged into a Marshall 1960TV cab.

Guitars were a late 80s '62 reissue Strat, a '78 LP Deluxe, and a LP Studio.

Pedals used were a Tube Screamer, 3-knob Tube Works Tube Driver, a '67 Arbiter Fuzz Face, and an old Ram's Head Big Muff that was in such a sorry state that I had to bang it on the floor to get it to turn on and then had to keep my foot on it while I played because it was so microphonic...

Fireball XL5

Silver Supporting Member
An old friend called me today that he is selling his Marshall JMP bass 50 watter. I'm checking it out tomorrow. He is asking $1500 and said it's all original.

Any thoughts on these? I love my '75 Marshall JMP 50 watter master volume head.
Those early 4-hole 50 watt JMP bass heads are great. I have an early '73 JMP bass 50 watt (still ptp) and it's one of my alltime favorite amps. Smoother and rounder on top than the lead heads to my ears, yet still has great compression/drive when cranked. Great with a Strat!

I think that price is very fair and wouldn't balk too much over it if it's all original and sounds good. With all the new boutique knock-offs going for $2500 & up these days, I personally don't see how a clean 'all original' REAL JMP Marshall isn't worth at least that asking price.

I say go for it. :aok

Trending Topics

Top Bottom