• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

1975 Marshall Bass JMP 4 hole 50 watt...what do you think?

michael patrick

Loud and proud
Silver Supporting Member
I think that price is very fair and wouldn't balk too much over it if it's all original and sounds good. With all the new boutique knock-offs going for $2500 & up these days, I personally don't see how a clean 'all original' REAL JMP Marshall isn't worth at least that asking price.

I say go for it. :aok
And it'll hold it's value, and depending on the market may even increase in value.

GAT

Platinum Supporting Member
Well, I saw and played it today. No issues, very clean and all original according to the guy selling it. There are no holes or anything funny. It's actually a '76. It sounded great, much less gainy than my '75 JMP and it sounds different, which is a good thing.

I told him I would get back to him. I didn't have time to pull the chassis and check out things, but I really don't think I would know what to look for anyway.

Stu Blue

If you get it, you'll find the "less gain" doesn't stop the amp from singing it's notes in a very emotional vocal fashion. Also. Like the JTM45 it is a bit more singer friendly, less in the way of a "normal" (not Plant high) voice. I've got no voice and only half a lung and even I can sing to mine....

woof*

Well, I saw and played it today. No issues, very clean and all original according to the guy selling it. There are no holes or anything funny. It's actually a '76. It sounded great, much less gainy than my '75 JMP and it sounds different, which is a good thing.

I told him I would get back to him. I didn't have time to pull the chassis and check out things, but I really don't think I would know what to look for anyway.
I heard Phil Brown's 78 Jmp today. Very nice amp, his had nos 6550's in it.

jtm622

REALITY: Finding a super clean '75-'76 JMP on the market having original "glass" is all but a pipe dream - guys who bought those EXPENSIVE imported amps originally were not prone to milking tubes for all they were worth...
Me? I bought a super clean '76 JMP 50 with a PPIV installed that I GLADLY paid $1500 for; and I was damn happy to get it at that price - particularly having seen more raggedy ass sh#t than you could shake a stick at... If you doubt that, that go look around for TWO clean ones to A/B...

If you're serious about buying a 40 year-old amp, would you rather spend $500 more for one that was obviously well-cared for, or spend $500 less for one that looks like it just went thru a nuclear winter???

A couple more things to consider: the "good" ones are just not dropping in price; the good ones exist in a "seller's market..." $1500 ain't half bad - Jump on it!

:)

woof*

REALITY: Finding a super clean '75-'76 JMP on the market having original "glass" is all but a pipe dream - guys who bought those EXPENSIVE imported amps originally were not prone to milking tubes for all they were worth...
Me? I bought a super clean '76 JMP 50 with a PPIV installed that I GLADLY paid $1500 for; and I was damn happy to get it at that price - particularly having seen more raggedy ass sh#t than you could shake a stick at... If you doubt that, that go look around for TWO clean ones to A/B...

If you're serious about buying a 40 year-old amp, would you rather spend $500 more for one that was obviously well-cared for, or spend $500 less for one that looks like it just went thru a nuclear winter???

A couple more things to consider: the "good" ones are just not dropping in price; the good ones exist in a "seller's market..." $1500 ain't half bad - Jump on it!

:)
Personally I'd take the beater and use the money to restore it. It all depends on if your a player or collector.

Those early 4-hole 50 watt JMP bass heads are great. I have an early '73 JMP bass 50 watt (still ptp) and it's one of my alltime favorite amps. Smoother and rounder on top than the lead heads to my ears, yet still has great compression/drive when cranked. Great with a Strat!
Couldn't agree more, they also sound killer with a LP and a nice boost in front!!

Jan '73 PTP 50w JMP Bass:
[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/lordriffenstein/1973-jmp-thru-greenbacks[/SOUNDCLOUD]

Stu Blue

Couldn't agree more, they also sound killer with a LP and a nice boost in front!!

Jan '73 PTP 50w JMP Bass:
[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/lordriffenstein/1973-jmp-thru-greenbacks[/SOUNDCLOUD]
That's a fine example of how musical and talkative your clicks, thumps and fret buzzes are on those amps, you can chatter away to the drummer like crazy. Jimi was the master of all that....

I always think that stuff means the amp is voiced right where it needs to be.

jtm622

Personally I'd take the beater and use the money to restore it. It all depends on if your a player or collector.
I gig thru mine, so I guess I'm a player... That said, I'd back away s-l-o-w-l-y from any 40 year-old amp that looked too raggedy-assed - if it looks like it was rode hard and put up wet, then it probably was... Plus: you can go thru $500 like sh#t thru a goose when "restoring" an old Marshall back to specs...

Top Bottom