1976 Fender Strat - What's the value?

Discussion in '"Vintage" Instruments' started by sonicspackle, Dec 26, 2017.

1. sonicspackle

sonicspackle Member

I'm considering selling my 1976 Fender Strat, but am wanting to find out what the potential value of it could be, so I'll know what price to ask. Could anyone here offer their expertise?

I would like to look on ebay to figure this out, but I have done several things to it over the years, which have been worth it to me, but I know have devalued the guitar.

List of changes:
    1. stainless steel frets.
    2. replaced pickups with DiMarzio Area's.
    3. removed one tone pot/knob and moved the volume pot/knob down a space. I still have the original pot/knob.
    4. replaced bridge with string saver saddles. I still have original bridge parts.
    5. one of the tuners was replaced due to being broken.

Everything's in decent shape for a 40 year old guitar. It has a few dings and whatnot, but nothing scathing.

2. Kurzman

Kurzman Supporting Member

I would say about $800.

sonicspackle and Dashface like this.
  3. Dashface

Dashface Member

A modified mid-70s Strat is never gonna be a goldmine. Is there a reason you want to sell? You might just as well keep it.

sonicspackle likes this.
  4. sonicspackle

sonicspackle Member

Thanks for the comment. Definitely not looking to make a lot of money. I just want to be able to ask for a fair price. For example, if it happens to be worth $1000, I would hate to only ask $500.

It's just a guitar I don't really play anymore. Typically, I don't like to keep gear that gathers dust.

lendryesky likes this.
  5. Bluzeboy

Bluzeboy Gold Supporting Member

Don’t mean to seem harsh but in this case the dust is probably worth more. :)

sonicspackle likes this.
  6. Ayrton

Ayrton Member

The pickups are about a third of the value (lord knows why). The weight is also a big factor on ‘70’s strats. The real value on those is mint examples, and that ship has sailed. Good finish, decent weight, and condition, up to $1000-$1300. Adjust accordingly based on condition

sonicspackle likes this.
  7. sonicspackle

sonicspackle Member

Yes, I know about the pickups. When I replaced them I sold them on ebay for $500!

8. sonicspackle

sonicspackle Member

Are you suggesting $1000-$1300 even without the original pickups?

9. Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels Supporting Member

The guitar in all original and good condition goes for $1800-2200. The lighter ones on the higher side of that number. If you have everything but the pickups, you are probably on the $1100-1200 range. Most would rather buy it cheep and use good pickups rather than buy expensive and pull the original crappy pickups.

Selling for $800 would be a crime as the necks and bodies easily pull $500-600 each.

Ayrton and sonicspackle like this.
  10. Ayrton

Ayrton Member

Absolutely

Let's be real, flat pole '70's strat pickups are nothing to write home about (unless you happen to be in a Niles Rodgers cover act), and the one piece cast bridge is garbage. Sure someone might pay a premium for a mint example, but if you plan to actually use the guitar, the bridge and pups gotta go, and it probably needs a refret. So even without the pickups, a clean '70's strat that does not weigh a ton will bring $1000 easy. The issue is someone's definition of "clean." I bought a '75 last year for $800, but the body finish was a rattle can refinish, one pickup replaced, and in need of a refret. I bought it because it did not weigh a ton, and had a good neck pocket fit.

sonicspackle likes this.
  11. Laurent Brondel

Laurent Brondel Supporting Member

The best way to know your guitar's value is to track similar ones on eBay and Reverb and see for how much they will sell (or have sold). Pay no attention to what sellers are asking, it's all over the amp and not realistic most of the time.

12. sonicspackle

sonicspackle Member

Thanks for the input. This is normally a route I would take, but with the changes I've made to the guitar, it's hard to find something that is comparable. It's worth a look, though.

13. mcknigs

mcknigs Supporting Member

I can't help to answer the question but I'm interested in the answer myself. I have a '76 Strat that I've considered selling, just because I don't use it much and it's the one guitar I could part with that might actually be worth something. I bought it used circa '81 and it was was modded when I got it, with brass saddles and early Lawrence blade pickups (220s?). It's had frets dressed. I vaguely recall maybe replacing the bridge because the threads on the original whammy were stripped. I keep wire window screen in the neck pocket to keep the neck from slipping. It's not particularly heavy. Cosmetically, neither the guitar nor the case are anywhere near mint. Thoughts on the value of mine would be appreciated as well.

sonicspackle likes this.
  14. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

The values range based on a few factors: color, condition, weight, and originality.

The color is something people don't consider. Mocha or black will be work less than tele blonde.

It is not unusual for an average guitar like the OP's in, say, sunburst finish to typically sell in the $1500 range. That is national retail. Deduct listing and PayPal fees and the headache of possible returns...

sonicspackle likes this.
  15. mcknigs

Mine is trans natural wood. I know that's not popular, and one of the reasons people tend not to like some of the '70s Strats. OTOH, I guess if you decide you want a '70s Strat, do you ascribe extra value to that which makes it look extra '70s? :dunno

[​IMG]

Oatie and sonicspackle like this.
  16. Ayrton

Ayrton Member

Same thing applies to yours as the OP. Condition, originality, weight, and neck pocket are things to consider. A clean neck and body are worth $800-$1000 because they can be parted out.

17. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

Another consideration with the OP's guitar is the refret. Some people don't like ss frets. Also, if it has a maple fretboard, it likely had to be refinished as part of the fret job, so the neck is considered to be partially refinished. (With rosewood this is not an issue).

18. murkat

murkat I like sea otters Silver Supporting Member

That's a beauty. Those pups, man o man ;)

19. mcknigs

Yeah, I wonder if it makes more sense to sell those separately. The intersection of the sets of (People who want a '76 Strat) and (People who value old Lawrence pickups) is probably pretty small.

20. murkat

murkat I like sea otters Silver Supporting Member

I do. :)
    lmk if you part it out. :)