1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

1976 Marshall JMP 50 Lead and Bass Head - value?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 64stratopete, May 19, 2011.

1. 64stratopete

64stratopete Member

Hello. This is my first post and it's about money ...
    Model as stated above, good condition inside and out, small grain, small logo, metal switches, 4-hole. No tears or burns. At some point the ohms selector plug has been lost and it's been hardwired for 8 ohm, which was fine for me as I ran it through a 2x12.
    No master volume. I only managed to turn it past 5 in my last band once, it's way too loud for the venues I play now. I have run it through a Powerbreak, but it seemed a tad unfair on the old lady, now 35 years old. So I just used a TS10 for crunch. Both methods sound great. Great but different. I digress.
    For various, well-considered reasons I'm moving to solid-state kit and sadly, due to space and money considerations, it needs to go (and the 4-year-old 2x12 cab which I won't be sorry to let go of, but that's another story. MDF has a lot to answer for).
    The question is, what's it worth to a willing buyer. I was thinking around a grand (pounds sterling) - is that cloud cuckoo?
    I found a similar posted enquiry - 2009 - regarding a 1980 MKII master vol, the consensus seemed to be around $1300 (USA dollars).
    I remember reading that the 'Lead and Bass' model was quite rare and also that it was very similar to the plexi, the main difference being the metal panel. This may have an effect on the value? Both these concepts may be erroneous - I await enlightenment from the senior wranglers.
    Thanks!

2. Relicula

Relicula Supporting Member

I have one exactly as you described. If its in very good condition, 1300-1500. They are one of the best sounding models from this era.

My numbers are soley based on what I would sell mine for, YMMV.

3. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

I've got a 1976 Lead & Bass 50 watt, and I wouldn't sell it for $1500. They are rare, and sound amazing. One of the best 70's 50 watt heads IMO. $1750-$2000 might get me to loosen my grip.

4. Relicula

Relicula Supporting Member

This particular head is one of the best Marshall's I have ever come across. It almost breaks up like a jtm 45, but with a nice amount of headroom. Just a great amp, on second thought I wouldnt accept 13 or 1500, unless I really had to move it.

5. jboyjams

jboyjams Member

It is suppossedly a 1987 1st channel and 1986 2nd channel.

So I wonder if they sound like those amps respectively?
    I wondered how much different the two channels sound vs a 1987's 2 channels?
    (channel 1 should be the same (is it?)... how much difference is channel 2 between the 1987 vs the Lead and Bass)?

These use a circuit board - seem to use mustards.

A local Craigs List guy had one for $1500 in incredible condition but was a couple hours drive and he may have sold it. There's been one on ebay for a very LONG time from a local store that is notoriously way overpriced on everything and lets their inventory rust (around $2100 with a replaced transormer and holes in the chassis)

I might bite for $1500. A lot of it depends on condition for me (cosmetics, stock circuit, original, etc).
    The Ohm selector may have a little impact - many people use 16 Ohm with a 4x12.

Sounds like a great amp - always wanted to try one (especially the 1986 side).

6. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

Paul Weller would be happy to buy that from you......

7. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

They really do sound like the high treble side of a lead version, and the bass side of a bass version, combined into one head. More dramatic then either version alone.

The output selector can be swapped out to a correct one very easily.

8. jboyjams

jboyjams Member

Is the the Lead and Bass 2nd channel (1986 side) the same as the 1986 1st channel? or are you saying it's actually like channel 2 of a 1986?

Yeah I have GAS and that ^ pushed me over the edge - how much for the amp!?

Also - is the Lead and Bass 2nd channel (1986) a lot different from the 1987 2nd channel?
    This is where I was confused in discussing with the seller from Craig's List - he said he had both a 1987 and a Lead and Bass and couldn't tell me much of the difference between Channel 2 for both amps...

(I'm still not sure if I'm keeping the Hendrix head)

9. 64stratopete

64stratopete Member

Blimey. Thanks for the info. However, comments like 'one of the best Marshalls', and 'sounds amazing' has introduced conflict into my thought processes - and now this has put me in a quandary and yet again I'm undecided about selling it.
    ... bugger ...
    I guess the best thing is to give it one final run tonight at the pub gig.
    BTW I paid 500 quid ($810) about 3 years ago, which from what you're saying seems like a very good deal indeed. (So it would seem that at least *one* of my gear deals came good.)[​IMG]
    I'll re-post as and when a sale or otherwise happens.