1976 strat price check

Discussion in '"Vintage" Instruments' started by parkerbro, Dec 29, 2017.

1. parkerbro

parkerbro Supporting Member

I stopped playing a while ago but decided to pick it back up. Went into a vintage guitar store and fell in love with a 1976 strat. It's just nicely, naturally reliced and plays like a dream. It's all original and sounds great. It does have a trem. I just don't have it on right now. The store was asking $2500 and wouldn't budge so I bought it for that price. Did I overpay and if so by a lot? I don't mind if I overpaid a little. I love the guitar. I just want to make sure I wasn't getting gouged.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    BADHAK likes this.
  2. Oatie

Oatie Member

Looks clean, the top of the headstock looks minty. It has the 3 bolt neck, Leo invented that BTW. I think you did well. Did you remove the pick guard and look under the hood? Its a beauty!

3. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

2017 VG Price Guide places this guitar at $2500 in high condition. I'd say you paid just about the right price.

4. Pano-dilzapp

Pano-dilzapp Member

He probably had a hungover that day.

shane88 and Yamariv like this.
  5. parkerbro

thanks guys. i love it!

56Tweed likes this.
  6. Dig ?

Dig ? Supporting Member

Looks pretty clean. That price doesn’t send my eyebrows skyward so imo that’s a fair deal

7. Arcadia

Arcadia Member

8. flaminguitarman

flaminguitarman Member

I got a 1976 in natural a few years ago for $1050. It's great condition. Has the original pickups but came with a set of kinmans in it. Has had a refret. Best strat ive ever owned. Seems to me these guitars will sell at varying price points, and a good bit more from shops and dealers. I got mine on cl. Love 1970s strats. If you like it that does not seems like a bad deal. Some cbs strats are garbage, if its a good one its worth paying a little more.

9. Jazzmaster60

Jazzmaster60 Member

Sorry to ask (and hijack ) but I would really appreciate it if you could please tell me what does the VG list a 1973 Fender natural Telecaster Deluxe in near mint condition at?
    Thanks

10. DrumBob

The VG Price Guide says $2600-$3400 depending on condition.

11. Jazzmaster60

Jazzmaster60 Member

Thanks so much , I really appreciate it .

12. DrumBob

No problem. Good luck.

13. Ferret

Ferret Supporting Member

Anybody pricing roughly in accord with the price guides is dealing fairly. It's often hard to find guitars on Ebay or Reverb that aren't all in excess of the guide's maximum price of an excellent example, even though most aren't excellent. Then, of course, there's the 20% markup for inflation since the guide came out and the passing on of all costs and fees to the buyer. If you are a genuine customer, it can get depressing looking through pages and pages of items at absurdly inflated prices. You can also be sure that few of the sellers read the small print in the guide and discount appropriately for non-original features and damage that threatens functionality or longevity.

14. Badstrat

Badstrat Member

Good score. I've got a '78 but only paid $750 new. But that was in 1978. My first electric and still my #1.

shane88 likes this.
  15. Codyyy

Codyyy Member

The guitar looks great, I wouldn’t worry about the price if you can afford it and it’s what you want. I didn’t realize how much these were worth but they are in the vintage era now. I started playing my dad’s ‘74 and didn’t like it. I got used to it, so much so that I bought my own. Is that color blonde or just natural? It looks blonde to me.

16. parkerbro

it's blonde and wonderful. still love it!

17. Codyyy

Codyyy Member

That’s what I thought, my dad’s is natural and it has more of an amber color to it.

18. Tidewater Custom Shop

Tidewater Custom Shop Performance Enhancing Guitarworks Supporting Member

That's a fine guitar, and it will certainly appreciate in value. Less than 10 years ago, I bought an all original 1976 3TSB w/ vibrato for $1500. I loved the 'burst and how the neck felt. I simply wasn't guitar-smart enough at the time to tame the brittle pickups. I was smart enough not to dick with it - I mean it was completely original. I sold it 6 months later for $1600. That same guitar would easily be priced in the low $2K for private sale, and likely high $2K from a reputable dealer.