1977 Memory Man - is it really good?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Paulo Grua, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Paulo Grua

Paulo Grua Member

I have a chance to get a 1977 Memory Man Solid state echo/Analog delay line pedal for a decente price (in american dollars, it would be around US$140).
    I love delays, and have already a DM-2, and would appreciate to have a second delay, especially with a dry output as this one have. But I've never heard of other Memory Man than the DEluxe and Stereo ones. All I know is that it is from the second year of production of the EHX delay pedals, and has a max. delay time close to 330 ms. But, what about the tone? It is probably noisier than the later ones, but is it too much noisier?

I would like to hear some advices of people who already played through them or something like that... Thanks!

2. Oddos

Oddos Member

Everything made in 1977 is fantastic!

3. Turiguiliano

Turiguiliano Member

yes. if you dont like it, please let me know. :banana

:AOK

4. Paulo Grua

Paulo Grua Member

You got a point here:AOK

Yeah, I think i'm going for it!

5. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

get it dude. memory man delays are simply the greatest simple delay pedals ever built. They have an ooey-gooey warm, organic tone that just melts. IMO, its the closest thing to a tape echo ever built. digital sims don't quite get there. My only gripe is the headroom/adulteration of the dry tone. It clips way too fast when you are running boosts out front or playing hard, and like all big box EHX pedals, it doesn't pass along the dry tone well when playing. It does some cool things to the tone though (like a tape echo), so it might float your boat.