1977 Strats/ Teles

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by radioheadhead, Nov 14, 2005.

1. radioheadhead

radioheadhead Member

I would like to know opinions on this year of Fenders, from those of you who have/ have had them. I was born in '77, and I am considering starting a SMALL collection of 1977 guitars. Thanks for any and all input.

aww, hell, tell me about '77 Gibsons, too:D

2. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

I hada 77 Tele that was the heaviest guitar I've ever owned. It weighed 15 lbs. I don't mind heavy guitars but some of the more wimpy forumites dislike anything over 7lbs :p ;)

I think if you look you can find some great guitars. I loved mine but have run across some dogs from that era. My current #1 is a 1975 Strat. It plays and sounds as good as any Strat I've had my hands on.

While the late 70's isn't Fenders best era I really don't think they are all as bad as some guys would have you believe.

Good luck.

3. Urban Camper

Urban Camper Member

I have a '77 Strat and as stated above, it is one heavy mother. Not 15 lbs heavy, but it's 9 and change which is a bit dense for a Strat. I believe the whole weight thing is a pretty standard gripe about Fenders from this era.

The only other issue I'm aware of with this era is stability with the 3 bolt necks. This is what I've been told, maybe someone else here can verify this. I personally don't have that problem since a previous owner "modded" mine to be a 5 bolt neck instead of 3. :p

Other than the weight, it has super tone, a fat neck and plays great. I love it and it is my main axe.

4. dave s

dave s Member

My '77 strat wasn't that heavy, but had the 3-bolt neck that could be moved inside the neck pocket. I don't believe the bridge and nut were in perfect alignment either as the small E string was farther from the edge than the fat E string.

Could have been my age and inexperience and not having a clue such a thing existed as a 'good' guitar and a 'not so good' guitar of the same brand and model. Mine was junk.

Finish was a beautiful mary kaye over ash with a maple fretboard. Very stunning looking guitar, just not very playable or gigworthy.

dave

5. blong

blong Supporting Member

I like strats from the late 60's all the way through to today. I own a 1978 strat, among others, that is a little on the heavy side, but I love that guitar. It takes a beating and plays like a charm. To me weight has only to do with the wear and tear on your shoulders while gigging.

At one point in time, late 70's early 80's, the heavier the guitar, the more people liked them. People used to argue that heavier meant denser woods, meant more sustain/tone. Now the opposite is suggested. I believe neither is quite accurate. Everything is related to all pieces of equipment, ie pedals, amps, etc. If you like the feel and the tone, buy it. Doesn't matter what myths are being perpetuated on forums or what anyone else thinks. If you like it, buy it.

Bob

6. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Honestly, wasn't my favorite period for Fenders. It seemed like many of the strats and Teles from that era weighed a freakin ton and they had gone to that 3-bolt system. It's a cool idea you've got but I dunno about those guitars...

Unfortunately, it was also a bad time for Les Pauls. Lotta green wood, crappy carve tops. They did improve the bridges in the 70s...but not much else.

7. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

Like everyone said each guitar has to stand on its own. Having said that, I had a late 70s strat. I don't remember exactly what years maybe 78. It was not a great guitar. My understadning is that the 3 bolt was no so terrible, it was the production processes (huge pockets with poor routing for bolts.) that were aweful and created the problems giving the 3 bolt a bad name.
    good luck.

cmn

8. tim gueguen

tim gueguen Member

A good rule of thumb with late '70s Fenders is try before you buy.

9. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

My old '79 strat weighed a lot (like others have said). The other things I didn't care for was the die cast bridge and the VERY THICK and HEAVY poly finish.

My '74 was much more reasonable all the way around.

Hope this helps.

...Stormin!

10. DrJamie

DrJamie Silver Supporting Member

Anything from the 70's, no matter how crappy will have a collector value if it's clean. And, these have the greatest investment potential for quick appreciation, because the prices are somewhat lower, but rising fast. I personally don't buy for investment. I buy guitars I love. If I were smart, I would buy alot of these boat anchors, and hold 'em for a few years. And, I wouldn't feel bad selling them, because I never liked them! And, yes, I'm sure there are some magic Fenders from that time period.

11. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

my friend has a 79' strat, dont like it, very heavy, doesnt even sound like a strat, its weird...he may have messed with electronics.....it had no quack.

12. lhallam

lhallam Member

I had a 70's strat, relatively heavy for a Strat.

Playablity was fine for me.

It stayed in tune remarkably well under normal conditions. It went sharp after whammy usage.

The tone wasn't what I'd call vintage strat. It didn't have that bell-like tone and had a lot of mid-range.

All-in-all not one of my favorite gtrs. Around '83 I picked up a MIJ strat at Manny's for $110 for a friend. That gtr sounded far more like a chimey vintage strat than mine. Sure wished I'd kept the MIJ.

13. fin

fin Guest

neat idea!

I have a friend with a '77 strat- not my favorite guitar, but he loves it.

On the other hand- I love my '79 LP Custom "fretless wonder"- a fun guitar to play for cetain things-

Suggestion-

While Gibson and Fender were suckin hard in the late 70's, the Japanese were coming on strong...

why not start your collection with some '77 Ibanez guitars?

-fin

14. woof*

woof* Member

yeah or Tokai, Greco, Burny or Fernandes? all of those makers were busy building great copies of Fenders and Gibsons!