1978 Alvarez Yairi DY74C

Nolatone Ampworks

Platinum Supporting Member
Hi folks, I ran across one of these that, though has some "character" in the wear department, plays and sounds very sweet.

I sold all my decent acoustic gear when I was starting up Nolatone and would like to have a decent acoustic around, but don't want to invest a lot for one.

I can get it for $524 out the door with HSC.

Should I do it??

JackButler

Silver Supporting Member
I tell ya, I don't know market values on them (ebay there), but I finally got back a veyr old Yairi I owned years ago, beat to heck, wood literally almost worn through in spots and that is such a darn good guitar! Only reason I am looking for another acoustic is that one might be on its last legs and I don't want to use it live.

repat

I have a '79 DY45 and everyone who plays it says it sounds amazing. They age very nicely. If it's structurally sound, and you need an acoustic, not a bad choice.

My .02

Pat

Nolatone Ampworks

Platinum Supporting Member
BTW, I snagged it. Actually, in better shape than I remembered it being in. I got it for $475. Not much else for that price will give that good a sound.

Blue4Now

Gold Supporting Member
Hey can you post a pic. I have an 81 dy54 on loan with some real nice wear to it. I am loving it at the moment and deciding weather or not to keap it.

zzzezums

Gold Supporting Member
'74 DY77 here. Wonderful guitar - spruce top, rosewood back and sides, ebony board, wood binding, low action, sweet sounding.

dazco

I bought a alverez in about '87 that was so unique and amazing in it's tone. new tho and there was a immaturity in the tone i couldn't get past and i sold it. Today i am sure that it would have opened up into a awesome guitar and now i really wish i had it. i would never buy another new acoustic because they never really sound quite right for several years, but you CAN hear the voice they have and determine how good they will be once they open up. I don't know if all alverez' sound like mine did, but what a delicate and beautiful sound that was.

telemike

'78 DY55 here. It was my first good guitar, and I'm never letting it go. It has solid cedar top with laminated veneered back and sides. I still have the sales receipt, original case and even the Polish and Fretboard Care Kit that I bought to take care of it.