1978 Hamer Standard #0110

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Floyd2112, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Floyd2112

Floyd2112 Member

I've owned this Hamer since 1980. Sunburst with a really nice flame top, crown inlays and it is bound. Does anyone know what pickup's they put into these???? I've emailed Hamer directly and they haven't been much help with this topic. When I bought it they had the chrome covers on them. I took them off and they are black bobbins on both. Any help would be appreaciated.

Thanks

2. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Member

Try the Hamer Fan Club forum. There are a couple of guys from there that occasionally post here and know Hamer history better than the founders.

Look for a guy nicknamed "Serial Steve" who posts here as "serial". Hell of a nice guy, and he may shock you with what he can find out about your guitar.

3. Floyd2112

Floyd2112 Member

Thanks a lot for the info. This is my first time posting stuff like this. Appreaciate the help.

Floyd2112

4. Mike_C

Mike_C Member

If Memory serves me correctly they should be DiMarzio's wound to Hamer Specs. Are you the original owner? I ask since they usually only had open bobbin pickups on them and it sounds like they may have been changed or have been a special order.

5. Floyd2112

Floyd2112 Member

from what I can recall I am only the second owner. I got this when I was 15 years old for $600.00 in Middleton WI.( Regenburg Music) It also doesn't have the normal tune-o-matic bridge. The one that is still on it when I bought it is wider style tune -o matic bridge.

6. Mrgearguy

Mrgearguy Member

That's got to be one sweet axe, and worth some cash nowadays too!
    The ultimate authority on this sort of thing can be found at Jol Dantzig's Blog where you will be in touch with the actual Hamer USA shop. They have all the log books and records, not to mention the people who were actually there when your guitar was made.

7. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Member

My guess from that era would be DiMarzio's but check at the Hamer Fan Club site.

8. rooster

rooster Member

Some of the original Hamers used real PAF's. You might wanna check.

rooster.

9. pirateflynn

pirateflynn Member

Let's see some pics. The pickups are probably none original. PAFs were never used on Sunbursts and the legend of their use in 4 Digit Standards is exaggerated. The original pickups in your guitar should be Dimarzio made for Hamer PAFs.

10. Floyd2112

Floyd2112 Member

I"ll post some pics in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for the info.

11. Luke Gibson

Luke Gibson Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I suspect Dimarzio, IIRC a few of the very earliest Standards had PAF's or rewound PAF's. Probably not too many...

12. tonefinger

tonefinger Member

I have a Hamer Prototype, which later became the Steve Stevens model, from that era and it has Duncans in it. I could be wrong, but I think they were putting Duncans in around that time on alot of their guitars.

13. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

1978 would be DiMarzio's, I am pretty sure.

The earliest guitasrs used PAFs, but that would have been a few years earlier.

Duncans were later into the 80s, I believe.

14. Tokyo tapes

Tokyo tapes Supporting Member

Please post some pics...

15. stongemon

stongemon Member

once upon a time...

[​IMG]

0109 is the closest to the camera - replacement Rio Grandes (the original pickups were long gone by the time I found it).

the other two in the picture weren't bad either lol...

16. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

They would be DiMarzios, spec wound for Hamer. Basically, slightly hotter PAFs. It's possible that they're original pickups if you've owned it since then without changing them, but the chrome covers are definitely not factory spec. The stories about the rewound PAFs have been greatly exaggerated over the years, but you wouldn't find one on a Standard as late as yours. My brother's #0017 has one rewound PAF, if I recall, but the other is definitely a DiMarzio. The bridge sounds like a replacement piece.

Check in at the Hamer Fan Club Forum - you'll get accurate information there for sure.

17. Floyd2112

Floyd2112 Member

Those look really nice. Mine looks almost identical to your #109. What number is the top standard?? Thanks for the reply and the pics. I'll get some posted soon.

18. stongemon

stongemon Member

0260 - hard to tell, but it had a nice iced-tea burst to it. now living with a friend in California; someday I hope to buy it back.

The middle one is a custom order that never got picked up, so the dealer returned it to the factory and they sold it to me at one of the open houses that Hamer used to have. Not half bad IMHO.

19. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

The pickups in my '79 Hamer Sunburst are DiMarzio PAFs. I think some of the earlier Hamers used Gibson PAF pickups that were rewound by DiMarzio.

The holes in the bobbins of DiMarzio PAFs are different than Gibson PAFs. A pickup expert could point out the difference pretty quick with a clear picture.

20. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Member

There were a very few, very early ones that didn't need rewinding. SOP for Gibson at the time was to clip and replace dead pups...cheaper than debugging. Jol Dantzig told the story of touring the repair shop and leaving with a garbage bag full of pickups.

By the way, I am humbled by a couple of the Hamer experts who joined this thread. cmatthes and stongemon have each owned guitars that are merely myths to us mortals. Good guys, too.