1978 Ibanez Musician MC200

Discussion in '"Vintage" Instruments' started by AscarinVin, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Grenville

Grenville Member

Being an Asian guitar, the parts are metric sized, not imperial, so the holes (as you've discovered) are a fraction too small for USA pots.

Alpha branded pots should fit, or ream out the holes with a round file, going slowly, to slightly enlarge the holes and use your CTS ones.

johnnyb128 likes this.
  2. johnnyb128

johnnyb128 Member

I never got around to finishing this project and the guitar still sits without pots. I’d heard of the reaming option but didn’t want to modify the guitar that much (though I might since I’ll probably keep it forever). I’ll look at the alpha metric pots but back when I posted metric pots seemed hard to find. Either way thank you for responding, the confirmation of what I’d suspected is invaluable.

3. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

I had a MC250 for several years as my main guitar. The 250 is just like the 200 but with a coil tap switch.

These are very high quality guitars. The pickups are non-standard but sound great. They are potted in epoxy and are direct mounted into aluminum blocks underneath. Over time, they tend to get microphonic, so be sure to play the guitar at volume before buying to make sure it doesn't squeal on you.

I eventually traded mine straight for a 1963 Jaguar (back when the Jag was worth $700-800).

Sam Sherry likes this.
  4. Grenville

Grenville Member

The enlarging is minimal and wouldn't impact the value of the guitar at all. Just go very slowly if you do it, quite a simple job.

5. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

https://www.philadelphialuthiertool...haft-audio-taper-potentiometer-coarse-spline/

6. Ray175

Ray175 Member

Go to the Ibanez Collectors World forum and contact Andy whose handle is Porkpie. Andy supplies replacement parts for vintage Ibanez guitars and should have the right parts - great guy to deal with; I bought a 1978 MC400 NT from him some years ago and the 3 band active eq (with boost and cut of bass, mid and treble - plus a signal boost of up to 15db) correct the treble harshness of the Super 88 pickups. Without active eq you probably could improve your sound by using a decent parametric eq
    Great instrument by the way :)

johnnyb128 likes this.
  7. blong

blong Supporting Member

That's a beautiful guitar. The first Ibanez I ever heard of or saw was this same model. I was learning to play and a friend who is like a brother to me was in a band. I went to watch them practice in a garage, and the other guitarist had this guitar. He also shredded at leads. This was early 80's and they were playing Saxon, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and they were killer. This guy Andy was such an incredible player, it made me want one. I've never owned one, but I'd sure love to. That guitar had a perfect neck, like an old PRS wide-thin.

Thanks for sharing. It rekindled my desire to have one.

Bob

8. johnnyb128

johnnyb128 Member

Thank you!

Thanks for the suggestions, really appreciate it. In my overhaul of the guitar I put in antiquities that I had laying around but I came to a halt at the pots and haven’t had time to revisit. I do really like the guitar a lot and would go with replacement vintage parts if they’re not outrageously expensive.

thanks again both of you and others who helped out here. When I get it all together I’ll put up a post!

9. Ray175

Ray175 Member

Here's Andy's professional site; a must for anyone with a vintage Ibanez

https://www.reproguitarparts.com/#!/Ibanez/c/1391358/offset=0&sort=normal

johnnyb128 likes this.