1978 Original DMM Deluxe Memory Man- Can It Go On My Board?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Able Grip, May 13, 2015.

1. Able Grip

Able Grip Member

I have a 1978 DMM in what I think is in pretty good shape. I am wondering though, if it can hang on my pedalboard? I think the DMM's repeats and trails are more musical than the TL's. To me the TL repeats when they are trailing into a chorus of repeats become a little ugly, not as musical, and perhaps a little flat in pitch and evil robotish sounding.

To fit it on my board, I will have to strip out a few other pedals...

Is it a tone sucker? A hum generator? It isn't true bypass?

2. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

sdWell, if it's from 1978 I doubt seriously it's true-bypass, but that doesn't mean it's going to suck tone necessarily. You've got to do the whole put it in and try it out thing b/c it's impossible to know about hum, etc.... without putting in on the board.

My guess is there will be a little added noise, but you could take it to a repair shop and get them to align it and clean all the pots - etc... - and probably reduce that if it is indeed noisey. What pedals would you have to take off? It's going to do analog delay better than the Timeline, so is analog delay that important to you? If so, then yeah, I'd go for it.

Edited to add: If it has any issues send it to Analogman for repair. I think he can even make it true-bypass and Mike is great to work with. He's also an expert on this pedal. fyi.

3. bratch

bratch Member

I say try it.

- It isn't true bypass, and I strongly encourage you not to modify it to be.
    - the preamp is relatively low impedance. It helps to run a boss or some other buffered pedal before it.
    - folks who complain about the hiss these things put out are babies! It's probably the clearest-sounding of all bbd-based delays ... we have to put up with a small amount of 'noise' on the repeats.
    - you may or may not like the overall coloration of the preamp. Just try it!

Does yours have the modulation?

4. Able Grip

Able Grip Member

I will get rid of my JHS Orange Compressor and one of 2 Aluminum Falcon 2 pedals.
    The JHS Orange Compressor was disappointing as it removes the bottom end so I am not using it at all. I like having the 2nd Falcon as a clean boost, but I can live without it...

How much would Analogman charge to do all that? The Canadian dollar is pretty low these days. It becomes cost prohibitive to send stuff out to the USA now.

5. Able Grip

Able Grip Member

Yes mine has the modulation...

6. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

I have a 90's RI that resided on my board for a long time. Total classic.

7. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Just email mike w Analogman and tell him what you've got and want and he will tell you a price. His email is on their website. I don't have it on my phone.

8. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

Try it before you start doing all these modifications for it.
    DMM's are magic. I don't think mine is true bypass, but I don't care. No excessive noise/hiss/etc with mine either. And the preamp in it is GREAT.

I'm willing to bet nothing will be wrong with it on your board. But you have to try it out. You can spend a lot of money sending it out to Analogman or Howard Davis.. but there's a good chance it could be just fine.

And I agree with Bratch that people who complain about the "noise" are missing the point. It's part of the analog delay character. Take out that noise and you have a clean, boring, sterile delay. As long as it's not excessive, noise is good.

9. tomuchroc41gtr

tomuchroc41gtr Supporting Member

One thing I would recommend, regardless of whether it's true bypass or not, is putting it in a true bypass loop so you can 1) bypass any tone-suck (if there actually is any) and 2) have an easy way to see whether or not the pedal is engaged when playing live. The LED is only power indicator and is always on regardless of whether the pedal is bypassed or not. There have been so many times that I forgot to turn it off after a song and then needed a rhythmic delay for the next and drove myself crazy trying to figure out what was going on. Just my two cents.

10. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

I'd be hesitant to modify an original, clean, 1978 DMM....

Wouldn't that be worth some good money?

11. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

It all depends.
    If it's working fine, then yea, worth some good money.

But if it's noisy and useless, then not so much. Would be worth modified by Analogman or Howard Davis (or another known name) to a working state.

12. bratch

bratch Member

I'd be nervous about modifying it it was working properly already.

Today, I just took off a couple pedals and put on an old deluxe mistress. I'm loving it!

13. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Let's differentiate between Howard or Mike cleaning and adjusting it (a perfectly fair thing to do, won't negatively impact the value) and "modding it" for true bypass (which will impact the value). For bypass I'd definitely just drop it in a small loop-you can get the mini-pedal sized loopers now that take up minimal space. You could even mount the bypass on a riser over the DMM pedal so it didn't take up any more space.

14. jordane93

jordane93 Member

Can it go on your board? Yes. No. Maybe so?

15. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

:agree

16. tomuchroc41gtr

tomuchroc41gtr Supporting Member

Not to mention you could also use the single true bypass loop as a "slingshot" of sorts and have the DMM mounted underneath your board to save that valuable real estate.

17. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

18. Able Grip

Able Grip Member

Good info... I think the pedal is functioning fine. I might look into a loop pedal. Is there a super small cheap one recommended?

19. smitty.west

smitty.west Senior Member

i find the psionic audio triad to be an invaluable companion for my old dmm.

20. MilwMark

MilwMark Member

Have you tried the DMM on its own? Did you notice any ill effects when on or when bypassed? If not, no problem. Seems like you would already know if you hear "tone suck" so I'm a bit confused from the start.

Anyway, if you did hear "tone suck", try it with a buffered pedal ahead of it. To me that makes up for a lot with the old EHX pedals.

We drive ourselves nuts with this stuff. Forgetting that a lot of great music, and TONES THAT WE ADORE AND CHASE TO THIS DAY, was made with this old, imperfect "tone-sucking" gear.

Now, back in the day, they played loud. If you are playing in a band mix, I daresay it won't matter either way. If you play mostly at home, quietly, you MIGHT notice something. But you might not. And again, a buffered pedal will probably cover up most or all of what you notice. At least for me. But I'm not super picky (and tend to be more obsessed about perceived dynamics changes than tone changes).