1978 Silverface Vibrolux doubts....

rudolph

Hello, I'm new to this forum and I'm from Italy. I would be grateful if someone could help me with some informations:
I have recently bought a 1978 Vibrolux and discovered it's a "boost" version just pullin' the volume knob. There's no "pull for boost" indication on the faceplate and no boost input on the rear panel. Is this normal? The amp is in great condition, clean and with original transformers. I guess it is a kind of transition model but, anyway, I wonder....

Also: this amp has speakers with a basket shape that I have never seen. Can anybody help me to understand what brand they are? (apparently no Cts or Oxford). (see pics)

https://imageshack.com/a/HL9z/1

Thanks a lot for any info provided.

Last edited:

wyatt

Pull-for-Boost would be normal for a '78. Maybe they were using up the old facepaltes at the time, or maybe someone replaced a bent on years ago. The push-pull pot was the only way to turn the Boost on, it wasn't footswitch-able.

Don't know on the speakers.

rudolph

Thanks Wyatt. Very kind of you. I've researched the net but those speakers remain a mystery to me...

wyatt

Can you read the numbers stamped on the magnets? Any other numbers on the speakers?

billyguitar

The speakers look like the originals. Probably Eminence. They should be good sounding. The boost would be on the reverb channel volume knob. It should pull out a small amount for the boost to activate.

rudolph

One speaker has a number on the magnet that I barely read. Looks like 697871. There's no other number elsewhere. They sound "clean" up to 6 on the volume (I haven't had a chance to play it louder than that). Thank you all for your answers.

michael patrick

Loud and proud
Silver Supporting Member
An Eminence code would start with 67, not 69. Is there a possibility that the second number is a 7 not a 9?

michael patrick

Loud and proud
Silver Supporting Member
The other usual suspects for speakers in Fender amps are Jensen (220), Utah (328), CTS (137), and occasionally Pyle (1098). I don't know of a manufacturer that uses a number beginning with "69" or "68."

Last edited:

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
The only 2 digit speaker code Fender ever used was the Emminence 67. I'm sure that's what it is. As to WHAT Emminence, they built speakers for everyone and their dog, to order, so there's no chance you'll be able to figure out what that speaker is supposed to be except that it's a Fender speaker from the right year and probably original to that amp. With the big magnet, I'd expect loud, clean tone with quite a bit of bass. Unusual for a mid-sized Fender.

The pull-boost is working like it should, leave it alone and the amp will sound exactly like an earlier Vibrolux Reverb, which is to say, GREAT. Check the filter caps, get them replaced, confirm that bias is around where it needs to be, replace and tubes that are tired and you've got an amp that'll outlive you!

billyguitar

One speaker has a number on the magnet that I barely read. Looks like 697871. There's no other number elsewhere. They sound "clean" up to 6 on the volume (I haven't had a chance to play it louder than that). Thank you all for your answers.
That's the most clean you'll get out of a VR, regardless of what speakers are in it. The amp distorts at that point!

shovelhead82

That is a very nice amp you have there. Those speakers with the big magnets will be great for delivering the low end. I used to own a 1979 VR
that also had the pull boost volume pot. The faceplate on mine did have the text indicating pull for boost. It was a great sounding amp, but I never used the boost feature.

rudolph

Just a quick note to thank everybody for their precious insights and kind support. The amp is great, I haven't touched or changed anything. Soon I will take it to a good tech just to check it and see what's goin' on with the vibrato (apart from a subtle "tick tick" it needs a good 15 minutes before the vibrato really kicks in). The amp is quiet and have a nice clean and fat sound. Very happy with it. Cheers

Trending Topics